Is there any way to put a stock gen 2 rear wheel on a gen 1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
My cousin just got a gen 2 vmax and has the 240 rear conversion on order. I like the stock rear wheel (6 x 18) which still has the stock tire (200/50R18) and will buy it off him if there is any way to make it fit on my gen 1. I know that to get a 200 on the swing arm needs to be notched. What I don't know if is the splines from the hub will even fit the wheel or if the wheel will fit on the axle. Does anyone know if this can be accomplished? Thanks

Not without a shitload of machining, re engineering and cost. In the end a chain drive would probably leave you with less weight, more sprocket/gearing choices, more wheel choices etc. I wonder if some German/ Euro guy has not already done it.
I'd just go Otec if I wanted a trick shaft drive. Be do e in a weekend any width you want to 330.

Yeah it can be done but its like PATMAX says. Everything can be done except avoiding death... so far...

So what you are saying is I will have more luck seeking immortality than fitting a gen 2 wheel on a gen 1. Noted. I'll check out the Otec setup.

This question was never technically answered. Are the hub splines the same as gen 1? I'm building a turbo XJ900 with a dual ujoint drive shaft to allow a custom wider swingarm and wheel. I want to use my original final drive, because of taller ratio. I am aware the gen 1 vmax shares the same spline design as the XJ's & viragos. What I need to know is the difference between the two generation wheels? I guessing the bearing sizes are different, but not sure? I can't believe there isn't more discussion about this with all those custom Vmax guys out there?

17163382375_4ea3aa5af4_c.jpg

Nice!
The gen2 splines do not match the gen 1.

I did see some pictures of a gen 2 swingarm/diff/wheel on a gen 1. Sean did the swap. Not a plug n play operation.

The XJ has the same SPLINES as the Gen 1 but the offset of the hub is different enough that it won't interchange. The splines on your XJ are outboard while the splines on the vmax are inboard. The connection methods are differnet as well with the XJ having a bolt on adapter while the Vmax is a pin type.

As has been noted we have worked on this with the gen 2 on the gen 1 and it requires the differential as well as the wheel. Of course a guy could potentially make a custom adapter with splines to fit whatever diff you want to use.

The 750 star has another 10% ratio difference (20% different then the vmax) and might be a good candidate for you? I know i have a diff around here if you wanted to experiment.

I have my 83 Seca Turbo I want to start working on again this year (finally). I have an 83 900 Seca engine as well as a number of other engines I am going to try and combine parts to make a hybrid water cooled setup too (Maxim X, and FZR1000).

Back