Mounting and Balancing Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
I have Dunlop's on my 1994 and plan on replacing them with Shinko's shortly. While I can find great deals online for the tires it seems that getting them mounted and balances will cost a good bit since I'm not getting the tires from a dealer. Just wondering what everybody else does concerning mounting and balancing your tires.

Thanks,

Doug

Get some tire spoons, some rim protectores and a cheap balancing stand and bead breaker. Or like Traumahawk dyna beads. I'd rather do it myself and take the time to position the tire for the best balance possible, and then add beads. Not many shops take care of your wheels like you will.

Dennis your a wealth of info !! No kidding :clapping:
Thanks, that's what being unable to walk for almost a year will do for you.
I Definitely don't recommend crashing your Vmax just to have time to research this stuff online though. ;)

I mount all my tires by hand, hardest part is the beak breaking, I used a pair of large welding c clamps, works for me, scotch Brite clean the bead until it's smooth, line up the tire mark with a new screw in valve stem, sometimes a heat gun helps a new tire to go on, and I buy Shinko tires for all my bikes.
Stick the axle bolt through the bearings, you might have to shim one end on something like a wood stand with a notch or so me jack stands and start spinning, I use a marker pen on the highest point, do that around ten times, if you get all your marks in a close section you need some weight there, I f they are random all around the rim no weight is needed.

Dynabeads do work, I use it on my bikes.

I mount all my tires by hand, hardest part is the beak breaking, I used a pair of large welding c clamps, works for me, scotch Brite clean the bead until it's smooth, line up the tire mark with a new screw in valve stem, sometimes a heat gun helps a new tire to go on, and I buy Shinko tires for all my bikes.
Stick the axle bolt through the bearings, you might have to shim one end on something like a wood stand with a notch or so me jack stands and start spinning, I use a marker pen on the highest point, do that around ten times, if you get all your marks in a close section you need some weight there, I f they are random all around the rim no weight is needed.

Dynabeads do work, I use it on my bikes.

I made a 6' lever out of 2'x4's, pinned to a stud in the garage....just drop it down, a shorter 2'x4' arm swings out, place it on the bead and lightly sit my fat ass on the end and POP! Either the bead lets go or the wheel flies up whacking me in the nuts.....(hey, nothing's perfect!!)

A couple uprights and this and you have everything you need. I've balanced many a wheel with one just like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portabl...1347163903&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

The easiest and safest to the rims, bead breaker I have found, is a pair of large, old school Carpenter's handscrew clamps. They have deep wooden jaws which can be adjusted to unparallel, to clear the tire carcass and mash the bead next to the rim. Very easy to break toughest bead in less than a munite, and no chance of scratching anything with the wooded jaws.

For a simple makeshift balance stand, I have used 2 ciinder blocks standing verticaly with 2 pieces of 1/4 keystock on the edges of the blocks for a smooth surface for the wheel's axle to roll on. I have now 2 workbenches of the same height that I use the same way.

Check with your smaller local auto tire places. Most won't touch a motorcycle wheel but if you tell them its from the front of your dune buggy they will usually do it, and far cheaper then the dealer. Plus you can ask if they have dyna beads for the balancing part which always works for us and leaves the wheel cleaner since no weights are used.

$20.00, mount and balance, at the local Harley/Honda dealer, if you bring the wheel in by itself. A steal, the way I look at it.
What I would like to see is a You-tube video of one of our lads(Silverado ?, Adamweird ?) that mounts and dismounts tires just with their hands:worthy:
These are folks that I definitely would not like to piss off.
Cheers!

Locally is normally $30 per tire off bike. Although I the first time I had them mount tires on my Carrozzeria's they only charged me $20 for both tires and let me help! I think the mechanic was as nervous as I was!:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back