160/60R18 Rear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
I presently have a 170/60R18 Pirelli for my rear tire, but it rubs on one side, so I guess I want 160/60R18 so I don't have that problem.

I was going to go with an Avon Storm 2, but they are discontinued. I guess I can just get the replacement Storm 3 X-M, but I figure that since I am in unfamiliar territory I would come here as ask for opinions. I can't seem to find a Shinko Radial in that size, but maybe I am not looking hard enough. I am also not crazy in the twisties so I guess a slightly harder compound will be OK.

What's out there, and what do you like?

Did you try the 'washer swap?' That may give you the room you need, for the size tire you have, the 170.

Not sure about seeing arm adjustment, but I am running a
180/55R18 meltzer on the rear right now without even the washer swap.
Mike

To my knowledge there is no swingarm adjustment at the pivots that would buy you any clearance. I'm unsure why you have this issue except that during the 18" conversion there may not have been any offset (to the right side) added to the wheel. The 17" wheel size may have cleared the swingarm stock notch whereas the 18" wheel/tire combo won't without some to-the-right offset of the modded wheel, or a notch increase on the left side of the swingarm.

There are a couple of alternatives.
Option 1 the easiest is try a different brand or style of tire I remember we had the same problem when we put 170 and 180 on the stock rims mostly Metzler ME880 some times you had to move washer others you didn't. I believe the Michelin Macadam seemed to be a narrower tire we may have gotten a 190 on with clearance.
Option 2 as Fire-Medic pointed out is notch the swing arm as many have done to allow you to get a larger tire in without any problems.

Not sure about seeing arm adjustment, but I am running a
180/55R18 meltzer on the rear right now without even the washer swap.
Mike

Lol, swing arm!

To my knowledge there is no swingarm adjustment at the pivots that would buy you any clearance. I'm unsure why you have this issue except that during the 18" conversion there may not have been any offset (to the right side) added to the wheel. The 17" wheel size may have cleared the swingarm stock notch whereas the 18" wheel/tire combo won't without some to-the-right offset of the modded wheel, or a notch increase on the left side of the swingarm.

There are a couple of alternatives.
Option 1 the easiest is try a different brand or style of tire I remember we had the same problem when we put 170 and 180 on the stock rims mostly Metzler ME880 some times you had to move washer others you didn't. I believe the Michelin Macadam seemed to be a narrower tire we may have gotten a 190 on with clearance.
Option 2 as Fire-Medic pointed out is notch the swing arm as many have done to allow you to get a larger tire in without any problems.

OK, I will look into a 170 then. The Avon's run narrow anyway. If I can't get the Avon Storm 2 or 3, or the cobra, I'll look into that Michelin. (I hate Michelin on my cars, however.)

In retrospect, yes, asking about a swingarm adjustment was foolish as the axle mounts in the swingarm, so any swingarm adjustment will not impact clearance. :doh:

Re: notching the swingarm, is it just a matter of filing it a bit, or do I have to file through and weld in a patch? It's easy to tell where it needs to be done from where the tire rubbed.

Thanks for all of your input!

You could just file the area needed and leave it though I do not recommend it. I believe there is someone local that did just that and is still running it that way. Yes best bet is to cut out an area and weld in a new piece to keep debris from getting in and causing any damage. You should be able to cut in as far as the notch that is already there for the stock wheel maybe a little farther just be cautious not to go to far or drive shaft will hit. There are several threads on here about notched swing arms or you could buy one already notched with yours as trade. Good luck with which ever direction you go.

Thank you, I was just searching for Notched Swingarm. No luck so far, but I'll keep looking.

I'm hoping to reduce downtime, but if the new tire rubs then I guess I'll get the swingarm notched and welded locally.

Back