Clutch Resovoir cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rf900flyer

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone had an issue w/ the cover as in the Phillips head is rounded or the allen key screw is rounded? Anyone ever drill it out then tap a new thread in the hole?

Thanks from Polk City

Attachments

• CAM00149.jpg
    CAM00149.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 23
I haven't had that issue on my Vmax but did on my intruder. I use done of those impact screw handles with a special bit for rounded out screws and once I got the sob out I got new screws for both fills.

Nice bike btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a dremel tool to cut a slot in it and you should be able to use a blade screwdriver to remove it. Then get an allen head replacement or even a hex head w/a flat washer. You don't really need a tapered head machine screw.

Sears sells a screw extractor you can use too, take the path of least effort first. Then turn to more involved methods.

One thing that will help prevent that in the future, is to use a JIS....Japanese Industry Standard screw driver. Its like a phillips....but the end is more blunt, and so wont round out the screws.

Look at the pic below.

I used a JIS screw driver to take the mounting screws of the coils when I removed them. I was able to take the screws loose without striping, having to use an impact driver....etc.

Attachments

• screws_JIS_phillips_comparison.jpg
    screws_JIS_phillips_comparison.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 24
One thing that will help prevent that in the future, is to use a JIS....Japanese Industry Standard screw driver. Its like a phillips....but the end is more blunt, and so wont round out the screws.

I never knew that! always wondered why some of my number 2 phillips screwdrivers worked better than others.

+1 for using the dremel, although I used a flat blade the exact width of one of the slots and lightly tapped and got it out that way.

Sears or pretty much has a kit for about $20 that comes with 3 different sizes where you use one end to kinda drill out the head (using a cordless drill in reverse) then flip the bit and use the other end to slowly extract the screw. I use it a lot on lock screws that strip.

I had that happen to me. I used a Dremel tool with a tiny grinding wheel to cut a slot in the head of the screw. Knowing that the screw material was not that strong, I took a heat gun to the outside of casing where the screw is. I figured I could make the metal just a sight bit larger to release the screw. at least the heat would loosen up the thread lock. Also, I had a replacement diaphragm, just in case I heated the old one up too much. With the heat and a slotted screw driver, I was able to get it turning. Looks like the previous owner had put the wrong type of thread-lock in there.

Had it happen on both covers. I was able to use a punch and hammer to remove the screw. Replaced with some hard stainless screws, will never have that problem again ha.

I always put a small dab of never seize on the threads of any steel bolt that comes out of aluminum threads....it helps it come out easily next time you want to remove it!

Latest posts

Back