Late clutch bite

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxiow

Reaction score
Hi all put a new clutch in the max, now the clutch bites very late, going to replace the fluid as it's very old, the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, do you think old fluid/air could cause this?

I have owned two and driven many and all but one didn't engage until the end of the travel. That is why I hunted down adjustable levers. The one that engaged in the middle of travel was the oldest and may have needed clutch work. What you are experiencing is the norm as far as I have seen.

I actually prefer the clutch grabbing where it does. This offers me room to get a set of levers that would be about a half inch closer. I have smaller hands, so reaching the stock levers is a bit of a reach for me.

In my experience, a late clutch bite is due to air leakage into the system or low fluid. Use a syringe and push fluid into the slave cyl bleeder. Keep your master cyl cap off and watch for an overflowing master cyl. I suggest evacuating all the fluid from the master cyl and then push the fluid from below, it will flush crap and air bubbles upwards. Your stuff will last longer w/less corrosion if you replace the fluid 1X year. You should do your F & R brakes too, you will notice a difference at the lever for all.

Look in the search function for more-detailed procedures.

Latest posts

Back