Coolant level

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezer66

Reaction score
I bought a 95 V Max a month ago. The bike is stock with approximately 35k miles. I filled the coolant system and i pukes a little coolant out the overflow tube, when the engine is at operating temp. The overflow reservoir doesn't fill up or go do down in volume, coolant just comes out the drain tube. I replaced the radiator cap with a factory .9bar standard cap, thinking that might be the issue. Still runs a little low, maybe a half liter down from full. The bike doesn't overheat, even in stop and go city traffic on a hot day. I have seen steam in the reservoir. Make me wonder if the vapor is cooling down in the drain tube and running out, like a alcohol still. Do I have an issue I need to fix or leave it alone?

I bought a 95 V Max a month ago. The bike is stock with approximately 35k miles. I filled the coolant system and i pukes a little coolant out the overflow tube, when the engine is at operating temp. The overflow reservoir doesn't fill up or go do down in volume, coolant just comes out the drain tube. I replaced the radiator cap with a factory .9bar standard cap, thinking that might be the issue. Still runs a little low, maybe a half liter down from full. The bike doesn't overheat, even in stop and go city traffic on a hot day. I have seen steam in the reservoir. Make me wonder if the vapor is cooling down in the drain tube and running out, like a alcohol still. Do I have an issue I need to fix or leave it alone?

The day i bought mine it overheated riding home. I purchased a larger radiator, installed a manual fan switch and added coolant and have not had a problem since.
I think if it doesn't show hot or smell hot you are ok.

I filled the coolant system and i pukes a little coolant out the overflow tube, when the engine is at operating temp. The overflow reservoir doesn't fill up or go do down in volume, coolant just comes out the drain tube. I replaced the radiator cap with a factory .9bar standard cap, thinking that might be the issue. Still runs a little low, maybe a half liter down from full. The bike doesn't overheat, even in stop and go city traffic on a hot day.

When you say the drain tube can I assume that you mean the one from the header tank?
The Max has a semi sealed coolant system. As the motor heats up and the coolant expands it is displaced into the header tank. With the motor off coolant will be drawn back into the water jacket from the header tank.
Provided the coolant is between the two marks on the header then I wouldn't expect any coolant to come out of the header overflow pipe. I would also expect to see the level change in the header as the motor heats up.

The purpose of the semi sealed system is to prevent coolant loss and minimise the need to check regularly.
I haven't seen what you describe on my bike and if coolant is being displaced this could lead to overheating if you loose too much.

The conundrum is that the temperature indicator doesn't suggest the bike is overheating.

You have done to most obvious thing by replacing the rad cop. Next check for cold spots on the radiator as the motor warms up which would indicate a blockage in part of the core. It would also be prudent to check the calibration of the temperature indicator.

As the bike is new to you do a full service (assume nothing has been done by the PO) which would include draining and replenishing the coolant.

If all the above checks out OK then rather than waste too much time worrying about it ride the bike but keep a close eye on the coolant level.

double check that the petcock drain is in the off position when riding. If over filled it will displace out the tube.

Looks like the two lines on the overflow reservoir were put on incorrectly. The radiator line attached to the outlet for the drain tube and the drain tube outlet to the radiator. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Back