2002 wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys going through the front end replacing everything. My wheel has that aluminum finish and something has started to take the clear coat off. How can I strip the clear off the whole wheel, polish it, then clear it again? Love that aluminum look and def don't want paint. Any help would be appreciated

That's a lot of work!! I had my front wheel stripped and polished by a guy in Houston that did this as a hobby. He mentioned some kind of industrial stripper to take off the clear and then just get after it with the polishing wheel and some polishing compound. I was pretty lucky, he only charged $120.00. You can speed up the polishing process by wet sanding the wheel. Start with 300 and go up to 1500 grit paper. You might even like the 1500 brushed look. I recently stripped the backrest and polished it, just used rattle can clear coat. I ended up using the 1500 finish in lieu of the polished, I just liked it better, and a lot less work. I would have the wheels clear coated at a paint shop. they use a much more durable clear than you can get in a rattle can.
My 2 cents

Hey guys going through the front end replacing everything. My wheel has that aluminum finish and something has started to take the clear coat off. How can I strip the clear off the whole wheel, polish it, then clear it again? Love that aluminum look and def don't want paint. Any help would be appreciated
You can have the wheel bead blasted, Poolie. It is quick and doesn't inhibit the sanding too much, if fine glass bead is used. I like the beaded look and think clear over that is cool too. The clear is a good idea. Check out the 2 part spray from Eastwood. It's great stuff and easy to apply.
Steve-o

Tal Strip II aerosol works great on the OEM clear coat.

Spray on, let sit, scrub with steel wool. In my experience most comes off in one coat. There are always some stubborn spots that need hit again.

Wicked fumes! Protect yourself

The old 1970's US Mags look was very popular back then. I had 'em on a van, of course!

ClickHandler.ashx

A VMax interpretation:
(not cheap)
attachment.php
attachment.php

Kind of a cross between the Centerline wheels and the US Mags.

ClickHandler.ashx

Thanks guys, gives me some options. The wheels are just awesome I think the way they are. Reminds me of the old muscle cars

Attachments

• 18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.02.JPG
    18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.02.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.01.JPG
    18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.01.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 163
I use E-Z Stripper in a can for wheels. Spray it on, take some off with a plastic scraper and a rag, do it again. Then I hit it with the red and green scotch brite pads. The clearcoat comes off easy. It's the corrosion spots that takes the skin off your thumbs. I then clean it with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Hit it one more time with the red pad,cause I like that finish, and that's it. I take care of it with Original Cleaner and Polish, No more clearcoat. That's why I had to do this in the first place.

That's a lot of work!! I had my front wheel stripped and polished by a guy in Houston that did this as a hobby. He mentioned some kind of industrial stripper to take off the clear and then just get after it with the polishing wheel and some polishing compound. I was pretty lucky, he only charged $120.00. You can speed up the polishing process by wet sanding the wheel. Start with 300 and go up to 1500 grit paper. You might even like the 1500 brushed look. I recently stripped the backrest and polished it, just used rattle can clear coat. I ended up using the 1500 finish in lieu of the polished, I just liked it better, and a lot less work. I would have the wheels clear coated at a paint shop. they use a much more durable clear than you can get in a rattle can.

My 2 cents

You can grab a nice clear from your body shop that's heavy. It's called SEM. Used it to clear my whole bike after paint. Durable and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back