What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday i thought i was selling my 85, but when the buyer starts it out of the blue its got a cold cylinder, its been sitting a lot, has spark on the left front but seems weak, some minor corrosion inside the ht lead.
Had a dream of a sort, can't remember it but basically it was about me keeping the bike, the buyer drove many miles to see it, still wants to buy it but wants me to fix it first. I'll fix it later, too busy right now with work here in Alaska, and that work may go bust in the next 8 weeks, and i need to get ready for my vacation in Australia in december.

I'll just have to tell him i changed my mind, i'm taking it to Oz eventually.

Washed it, found 92 marked on one head, 94 on the other and 94 96 on the engine pads in front of the serial number. I guess it is an 86/92/96-96 max, looks like somone did an engine replacement at some point. Then rode it to work in the rain.

I do not have a clue on the dates it looks like they were hand etched with an engraver

No problems withncompression on that thing I lay on the tank to try to keep the front wheel down

Did about 115 miles this afternoon, just riding around wherever.
Left Waterville, north through Fairfield into Skowhegan. From there, rode into Madison, then Norridgwock, Mercer, New Sharon, and then Farmington. After a break for iced coffee, gas, and to drain my bladder, I went through Vianna and Mt. Vernon, Readfield, and then Manchester, stopping for a quick lunch. Then it was on through Augusta, Vasselboro, Winslow, and back home in Waterville. All in all, it was a good day of riding. Relaxed on a lot of back roads.

Did about 115 miles this afternoon, just riding around wherever.
Hey Dash, I just did a 100 miles on my Vmax today. Great weather in SoCal. Went up the coast hwy and looked at all the babes in bikinis, (O' my god!!):worthy: Went south about 50miles up the torrey Pines grad & back down the coast hwy again. :biglaugh:

Replaced broken CBR taillight with new one and rewired reflector brakelight while I was there. Vmax is back to where it was before laying it down two weeks ago.

Hey Dash, I just did a 100 miles on my Vmax today. Great weather in SoCal. Went up the coast hwy and looked at all the babes in bikinis, (O' my god!!):worthy: Went south about 50miles up the torrey Pines grad & back down the coast hwy again. :biglaugh:

I remember the beautiful weather of southern Cali quite fondly, though that iime, I was busy fixing broke military vehicles and equipment lol. That and Northridge happened.

I took off Friday from work and rode 300 miles which included riding the best part of great H-58 3 times, Grand Marais to Melstrand back to Grand Sable Lake overlook then back towards to Munising ("the best part" which covers about ~35 miles each way). Saturday I rode down the Garden Peninsula to check out Fayette State Park which is the historic iron ore smelting operations site(1867 -1891) which I had all to myself since I apparently had arrived even before the park rangers. Nice road so I went the rest of the way to end of the road on the peninsula where there were several small fishing villages along the way. I put on 200 miles this day as the wandered eastward along the lake Michigan coastline trying to stay ahead or dodge the rain that seemed to everywhere except where I was for once!
It was a lot of fun exploring new roads which I saw a large rafter of turkey's (large by U.P. standards = about 25-30 birds), a woodchuck (coincidence BD?) and a wolf! The wolf was a very healthy looking specimen and I guess the head would been right about or just below my Vmax's headlight. He crossed the road about 50-60' in front of me, wish I would of had a camera running!
Redbone mileage averaged right around 40 mpg and ran flawlessly, was a lot of fun to ride the great H-58 a few times back to back. I can't wait to go back next month when all the vacationing trolls go home so I can go back and not get caught behind traffic like I did a couple of times this weekend. Also, of note is that again I found myself riding past so many dirt roads that I wanted to explore that having a adventure bike is starting to make a lot more sense to me, so I'll be looking for a deal on one over the winter.

I got reminded of what a difference a fresh set of plugs can make. Gaped at .032.
COP's with resistors and Dyna curve 2 in the Ignatech. I've been playing with the gap a bit and think I've got it right for my bike. For once I only did one thing at a time.
Steve

Today was a good day for my VMax

First, I finished installing an LED headlight I to the stock lens, swapping out the old 55w H4. The LED puts out 3000 lumen and is a 6K color. Best part is that it only consumes 30w, so 2A are now "available" for charging. Good pattern and low and high beams both work well!

Then, I finished reassembling the front forks, after doing a fluid swap on the front forks. So, progressive springs, Amsoil synthetic ATF fluid, forks slid up the triple trees by 3/4" and the Morely head bearing adjustment.

The front is solid - now to wait for my LED dual function turn signals to come over via the slow boat...

Can't wait to take it on a 100 mile cruise tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New seat day! UFO Starfighter Elite just got finished up!

Attachments

• 10568894_10200874672227206_1711356268723522883_n.jpg
    10568894_10200874672227206_1711356268723522883_n.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 45
Well wound up messing with my carbs again. here is the total story. Back in about mar, I had danny rebuild a set of carbs. They turned out great. After a dyno run, I decided to rejet. After rejetting I had a couple of idle circuits get clogged and did 2 shotguns.....and couldnt get the clog out, so I swapped out the carbs for a rack that I had on the shelf.

So right before the last dyno run, I decided to swap back. I know what the floats are set at....etc. So 2 more shotguns.....and got 1 of them cleared, but still had 1 more. I found out which carb it was using a temp gun on the exhaust. I figured that I would have to get into the carb and clean out the jet block.

Figured that i would try a shotgun 1 more time. This time....I decided to pull PAJ#1 and #2.....so that way I could get the tip of the air gun ALL the way into the carb. Guess what.....IT WORKED. I'm thinking the other times I wasnt getting full air pressure into the carb because the jets get in the way. The next time I do a shotgun I will remove PAJ#1 and 2, so that way full air pressure hits the carbs.

The 2nd pic is how I added a 2nd fuel filter AFTER the fuel pump. I added that several months ago, after I had to do 2 shotguns in 1 week. I have the fuel hose looped around so there are no sharp bends

Attachments

• 20150902_125732[1].jpg
    20150902_125732[1].jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150902_125626[1].jpg
    20150902_125626[1].jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 39
Well wound up messing with my carbs again. here is the total story. Back in about mar, I had danny rebuild a set of carbs. They turned out great. After a dyno run, I decided to rejet. After rejetting I had a couple of idle circuits get clogged and did 2 shotguns.....and couldnt get the clog out, so I swapped out the carbs for a rack that I had on the shelf.

So right before the last dyno run, I decided to swap back. I know what the floats are set at....etc. So 2 more shotguns.....and got 1 of them cleared, but still had 1 more. I found out which carb it was using a temp gun on the exhaust. I figured that I would have to get into the carb and clean out the jet block.

Figured that i would try a shotgun 1 more time. This time....I decided to pull PAJ#1 and #2.....so that way I could get the tip of the air gun ALL the way into the carb. Guess what.....IT WORKED. I'm thinking the other times I wasnt getting full air pressure into the carb because the jets get in the way. The next time I do a shotgun I will remove PAJ#1 and 2, so that way full air pressure hits the carbs.

The 2nd pic is how I added a 2nd fuel filter AFTER the fuel pump. I added that several months ago, after I had to do 2 shotguns in 1 week. I have the fuel hose looped around so there are no sharp bends

Good advice pulling the paj#1 &#2 for the shotgun. First time i did the same but only had a bicycle pump. It worked with them out.

Back