Good camping in MI

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
Looking to get the family out. Also looking at Kentucky, if anyone knows of any. Beach for swimming is a huge plus. Some hiking trails.
Kids are 18, 14, 6 and 3.

Just a couple days. Most state parks are booked for the holiday, so I'm putting my feelers out there for lesser known nice places.

32' rv. Hookups a plus, but I carry my own water so I can boondock. Bringing my own food.

2nd trip in this thing. First was a disaster, luckily it was jus the wife and me. Hopefully have everything ironed out now.

Not towing a vehicle, so stuck to walking distance for fun.

Not asking anyone to search for me. Just asking if you already know of a nugget. Just a name or area would help steer me in the right direction.

Thank you.

If you get to Norton shore's mi early you will have a great beach that is great parking for rv. IMO. You would need to get there by 8am. The great thing is your rv is parked at the edge of the beach no walking. Just put the steps down and you will step on to the beach. And the beach is on lake Michigan its better than the ocean IMO. As for rv camp site you will need to look near the area and like you said it would need to be walking distance to everthing so i would do Norton shore's beach before i went to a RV site. If i was you i would look for a rv site near a bike trail if you have bike's that way you can travel.

Norton shore's is near Muskegon Mi. Lot's of bike path's in the area. Crystal lake is near Thompsonville Mi and it has a nice easy paved bike path that goes to Frankfort Mi. Not sure if there is a rv park near that bike path or not.

That lake Michigan beach is in Muskegon. Take lakeshore drive to beach street and go left just past the few brick buildings on the left you will find the little beach on your right. You will be parking on the shoulder of the road and when you step out of you car you will be on the beach.

go to google maps and view a route to exit the beach area so you have a good rv exit route.

if you stay on beach st it will take you to Sherman blvd and Sherman will take you to bus 31. That might be the best way. have fun.

Pentwater has a great beach and RV camping at Charles Mears State Park which is directly connected to the beach. You also will be within walking distance from the downtown business district. You can go to the MDNR site and make reservations...scratch that, the place is booked.

Go here and you can see which state parks have available sites: http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Default.aspx#map-tab

Don't go to sand lake. It's a small town and if its the place I'm thinking it's right next to the highway.

Camping is a pretty broad term,
If you want to swim and have a beach, northern MI is gonna be rough, last summer we went to Mannistee to visit my sister and they all wanted to go swimming, well when we got there they all dove in, but my toe test revealed about 55 degree water, so while the beach was nice and the sun was out there was no way I was swimming lol.

South haven has a yogi bear campgrounds with rv spaces, dunes and what not to hike through, and nice beaches that you can swim at on Lake Michigan if you go in the middle of summer.

Besides that I would just recommend to drive around and have an adventure finding one, there are literally tons of spots to park a rv and have a great time.

If your self contained and don't mind a rustic type camp spot, I would recommend the Sunrise Lake campground, 15 miles south of Cadillac and near LeRoy Mi, spent a lot of time there as a kid..................Tom.

Ok. Got it sorted, sorta.

We have reservations at a place in Decatur, MI. Not ideal, but fits the bill.

Poor planning and being a novice rv'er led to my difficulties and request for ideas here.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Likely, places mentioned here will be visited in the near future.

Latest posts

Back