Disable permanent lights ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarjohn

Reaction score
Recently acquired late model Gen1. UK based but the lights set up is US with permanent lights on. Any information please on how to amend, so that I can decide when to light up ?
Do appreciate there might be info already on the forum, but it's so comprehensive and searches have been fruitless.

Recently acquired late model Gen1. UK based but the lights set up is US with permanent lights on. Any information please on how to amend, so that I can decide when to light up ?
Do appreciate there might be info already on the forum, but it's so comprehensive and searches have been fruitless.

I disabled the low beam, simply by installing an in-line switch (mounted to the dash) in the green headlight wiring.
This way the high beam is always available, such as for warning purposes, just by activating the OEM rocker switch.
As for the front running lights, I disabled them just by unplugging the blue wires from the harness. They are now activated by another dash mounted switch, which also turns on four LED clearance lights, as well as a fairing and a license plate frame light.
With everything lit, including two 37 watt driving lights, and an extra tail/brake light, the bike looks like a bloody Christmas tree.
Cheers!

What you need is one of these for the headlights....not sure why you would want to turn then off though.

If you are referring to the running lights the do as Miles suggests.

Thanks for responses so far.
As for being seen, totally agree, even with the extra width of a sidecar rig partially sighted drivers will still ignore. However, additional loads on the electrics for extra lighting, etc can be an issue. I prefer using switchable LEDs that don't draw much on the system.
Miles' approach looks good.

I left my headlight always on because I'm OK with that, but the front running lights I changed.

The way I did it was to convert to single filament bulbs. I cut off the running light wire to the front indicators, then I put a solder bridge across the two connections in the indicator.
ie. Pull out the 2 filament bulb, pull the little circular thing from the bulb holder out a bit, and bridge across the 2 solder pads with more solder. Use a needle file to tidy up the blob to the correct height.
That way the single filament bulb had a contact to connect to, and you never need to think about it again. :biglaugh:

Sorted some switches that appealed, plus now installed as per provided instructions. Thanks Miles.
Utilised a new handlebar unit courtesy of a Chinese bike spare - arrow A. The kill switch turns off the low beam, whilst the main lights switch provides running lights on the first position, and full lighting on the second position. As recommended, the standard dip switch means this can serve as an headlamp flasher.

In addition, fitted a manual fan switch courtesy of a quad bike cut out switch mounted at B.

Looks good, John. The switches blend in well.
Also checked out one of your previous posts, with the pics of your hack unit. One fantastic looking combination!
I saw that fairing on a older British bike at an antique show last year. A rather unique antique, I thought.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1010799.jpg
    P1010799.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
Here's my solution to the headlight and running lights.....

1175199_10200302301752164_17441425_n.jpg

But I have the "PO" parking lights as headlight only and the "ON" position as headlights and parking lights....

A long time ago, I read with interest about headlight modulators. Anything to make it harder for a brain dead driver to bleat, "But I didn't SEE them!" sounds good to me. Since I was, at the time, a rather broke sailor, I decided to just use my thumb. All the time, as it turns out. Someone turning up ahead? Flash flash flash. High beam to low and back, repeat as necessary. Pulling out from a side street? Flash flash flash. It really does work.

Some of the "motormen" (LEO's on motorcycles) here in south Florida used the constantly-changing beam headlight modulators. They used them in daylight only, of course. I've never used them but I think it's a good way to make yourself more-visible.

One of the most-simple ways to make yourself more-visible is to use a solid-white helmet. You would be surprised at what a difference the color of your helmet makes. Of course, someone who doesn't care about you as a motorcyclist isn't going to act differently because of your helmet's color, but it does provide contrast to your background. That may be enough to stir out of their cellphone-checking habits the Millennial who has to constantly check their social media status, even while they are driving a 5,000 lb SUV. :confused2:
"Oh, am I already drifting from my lane, into the next one, where a motorcycle is?" That situation probably won't be affected by your helmet's color, but the white helmet worn perhaps by you, coming from the opposite direction, and approaching an intersection where the SUV is intending to turn left in-front of you, will possibly see your white helmet more-readily than that spiffy black helmet.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/study-bright-colors-save-lots-motorcyclists-lives

Here's a chart from the research cited in the above link:
http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857.full

In this study, which also looks at bright clothing colors vs. dark clothing, the difference in visibility related to accidents is nowhere near as-profound as it is where the deciding factor is helmet color. Simply-put, the #1 easiest way to reduce your likelihood of being involved in an accident by this study's figure of 24%, is to wear a white or highly-visible helmet color. This is even more-effective than a bright color of upper-body clothing.

Dr. Harry Hurt's report mentions the effectiveness of modulators (published in 1981), that's a fairly old study, it would be of interest to see about the issue in a current study. http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/motorcycle49-50.html This is from the Federal DOT NHTSA site.

Here's an interesting tale from a NY motorcyclist who was ticketed for using a headlight modulator, took it to court, and beat it, because state law cannot take the place of federal law in situations like this (allowed safety equipment and vehicle lighting). http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/motorcycle/headlightmodulator.htm The DOT-NHTSA link prior makes specific reference to this issue: " Headlight modulators are federally regulated lighting devices and as such, all state laws governing them are preempted."

I got one of these from ebay...

s-l1600.jpg

...just cut and spliced to my existing wires and even modified the Virago reserve switch to work my reserve switch on my Max. The only odd thing was that the Virago uses a single throttle cable set up and the Vmax uses dual cables. I had to use the top of the Virago switchgear and mate it to the bottom half of the Vmax unit to retain the dual cable set up. The switch will turn your headlights, parking lights and dashlights on and off. I couldn't get the parking lights to come on the "PO" detent though....

Back