California Model

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
So, yet again living in the great state of California reminds me of why I will stay only as long as I am stationed here.

The Vmax is the second bike I have bought, and the second I have found to have certain specific parts added to it because it is was sold/is in California.

Aside from the "canister to prevent fuel vapor from discharging into the air" (from the owner's manual), any idea if there are any other added surprises on my bike due to its' location?

Also, any idea is this has a negative affect on performance and what I need to do to remove it forever?!

Rumored to be jetted slightly different in certain years I think.

Don't think the canister robs performance. Just ugly. Seriously doubt removing it would even be noticed by smog check inspection.

Can't think of anything else.

Thankfully I will be leaving this crazy state before the registration is due, so I wont have to worry about smog testing in either case. I will probably be removing it this weekend if for no reason other than on principle.

To your knowledge, is it a bolt on and off type thing or do I need to make some adjustments to the bike after taking it off, i.e. air-fuel mixture...

To your knowledge, is it a bolt on and off type thing or do I need to make some adjustments to the bike after taking it off, i.e. air-fuel mixture...

Not totally sure as I've never seen one in real life but most evaporative control canisters on autos are just hoses and the canister. Would probably need to plug whatever openings the hoses go into.
Wouldn't think any thing else would be needed to be changed.

Be glad they didn't put an EGR on it. I removed one from my XR650L and it was a pain.

I live in Texas but work in Ca. (usually Central Valley/Bakersfield area up to San Fran) About 3/4 of the time. Would hate to actually call it home or pay taxes here. Great weather is about all I like about it.

So, I just took a look at it has two lines. One running to the carbs, and the other running to an off-shoot from the fuel tank (to collect fuel vapors I imagine). Forgive the redundancy of my question, but do I simply disconnect it from either end and leave it open?

Wont that allow open access with the benefit of a filter to both the carbs and the fuel tank?

Pictures would help.

Where on the carbs and fuel
tank does this hose go?

The one from the tank I bet will need to be plugged.
Unless its there in lieu of the normal breather hose in which case it'll need to have that hose (and little plastic inline valve) installed so the tank doesn't vacuum lock.

On the normal bikes there is a small
Diameter hose that is routed from the tank then in front of the battery box to down behind the engine. You can see it behind the engine clamped to the plastic front wall of the battery box.

The hose I'm talking about will have a little plastic thing inline with it that's a little larger OD than the hose.

This is a check valve to keep from dumping fuel if the bike goes down.

If you have that hose and check valve and instead of going to the ground it goes to the canister then leave the hose and check valve and ditch the canister. Perhaps extend the hose further down so its down there where the battery and coolant overflow hoses are at the bottom of he bike.

The one from the carbs depends on where exactly it goes

There is a brass tube sticking out at a 45° angle from the throat of the #2 carb, it's located just above the throttle plate and you are correct....leaving it open will allow unfiltered air to enter the carb. I always plug them with a sync spigot cap or something similar.

I'm not familiar with any other part of the CA emissions system.

they have i think its paj1.....maybe 2(danny??)... anyways the one looking down the top of the carb, it is a 100 jet where the other bikes have 90...i found when putting on a full exhaust, big difference in tuning it and made it was easier to drop that one to 90

they have i think its paj1.....maybe 2(danny??)... anyways the one looking down the top of the carb, it is a 100 jet where the other bikes have 90...i found when putting on a full exhaust, big difference in tuning it and made it was easier to drop that one to 90

Yeah, PAJ1 is on top, PAJ2 behind the diaphragm.

ze5ebume.jpg

The canister on my CA Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, finally got around to looking into the routing on my bike.

I want to remove it, and I know Dannymax said to stopper it. I'm just wondering what a normal cylinder two looks like. Anyone have or willing to send a normal cylinder two and a normal top view of the gas tank with I have this cord running?

Also, on both ends of the hose it is a male in. Any ideas for removing, stoppering... it?

First image is of cylinder two with hose removed, second it a diagram on the underside of the faux tank, and third is a top view of the gas tank with hose removed where the canister connects in.

Nick

Attachments

• DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 43
I had a '94 Suzuki RF900 which I bought in California and it didn't suffer any ill effects after disconnecting the evap canister; there was only one annoying thing and that was the humming sound that would emanate from under the fuel tank if I left the bike sitting under the sun for 30 minutes or so....

I'm not really worried about it causing issues, I just wondered what a stock cylinder two and fuel tank look like.

And, what, if any, suggestions other forum members have as far as how to close those two points off.

Use caps and clamp used for the carb sync ports.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Correct. The tank vent normally has a hose going down to a tip over valve connected to front of battery box. Then, from there through a small loop on left side of swing arm.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back