Need some advise!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britt

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm new to the Vmax world, and anxious to get out there and ride however I'm unable to my bike won't start without the choke on, also smoke is coming from the cylinder heads I recently changed the spark plugs on. In addition to that the right rear exhaust is also smoking. List of things I have done so far: cleaned carbs, fuel system cleaner, replaced coolant, replaced spark plugs. Any advise on how to get a smooth rider???

I have recently washed the bike, smoke is coming from the base of the rear cylinder near the exhaust which is causing them to be extremely hot when idle for only 2-3 minutes. I'm beginning to believe it's a radiator issue

If the bike won't run without the choke, than that is almost always a carb problem. One or more jets are plugged. You may also have a stuck float causing the smoke from the exhaust. If your Vmax has sat for awhile without running and there was gas in it, you will probably need to pull the carbs to clean them properly.

He says:

...my bike won't start without the choke on,

Am I missing something or isn't that normal on a cold engine?
A different scenario if it will only run with the choke on which is covered by previous posts.

Have you balanced the carbs?

As for the 'smoke', what does it smell of? This will give you a clue as to what it is.
If this happens just after you washed it or worked on it then it may just be the water or oil off your hands burning off. It take a surprising amount of time to full vaporise off particularly if starting a cold engine.

If it smells of oil then you have a leak somewhere and if this is getting onto the rear header then cam cover gasket would be a candidate.
If a coolant smell then quite often this will leave a residue which you would need to seek out.

Bike won't run without the choke on. Smoke smells of oil, will try cam cover gasket

Your carbs are not properly cleaned out- you need to get inside the jetblock and clean the jets there-it will need to idle to be synced afterwards.

Back