Bought an APEX APX12220 Battery Last Dec.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope your all set as well. But I have to point out that my Shorai read 13.3 out of the box. That Apex had me a bit insecure so I checked the Shorai every time I rode it for a month and I never once found it to be less that 13.2 and that was after returning from vacation for 10 days. Generally it was at 13.3 to 13.4 during my regular checks. The main problem with the Apex is that it has no stamina. It may not affect you as much in the warmer climate of Florida but up here in NE if when the temps are between 40 and 60 it takes a few seconds of cranking over to get started. Steve and I were lucky to see 3 to 5 seconds at full tilt. Worse if the bike didn't start it wasn't going to. I understand that the fastest way to a starter clutch replacement is a crappy battery and it certainly was my experience.

Christian

I just checked my APX12220 (purchased in August, 2014), it read 13.25V after sitting for about a week without being charged.
Mine is over 2 years old and still cranks my Max like a champ even here in Western NY (I ride from 40-45F in the Winter, Spring and Fall to 90-95F in the Summer).
I know Steve and a few other guys have had issues with the newer Green APX versions of this battery vs. the UB version like I also had previously (a UPG UB12180 that lasted 9 years).
I just hope that APEX improves there QC to match there excellent customer service.

I hope you don't have an issue Dave. Maybe they corrected any problems.
Steve-o
Your experience has turned me off to recommending this APX12220 a supposed stronger version of the UB12280 I had before.
Apparently, the quality has dropped in the last few years.
Mine is 2 years old now and still works Great But you and a few others have posted bad experiences with the APEX version of the UB12220.
Hopefully my APX12220 lasts at least 4-5 years.

I haven't been called a troll in a couple of years so....

P....C......6.....8.....0.

Be done with it and forget about it 10-14 years.

IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I hope your all set as well. But I have to point out that my Shorai read 13.3 out of the box. That Apex had me a bit insecure so I checked the Shorai every time I rode it for a month and I never once found it to be less that 13.2 and that was after returning from vacation for 10 days. Generally it was at 13.3 to 13.4 during my regular checks. The main problem with the Apex is that it has no stamina. It may not affect you as much in the warmer climate of Florida but up here in NE if when the temps are between 40 and 60 it takes a few seconds of cranking over to get started. Steve and I were lucky to see 3 to 5 seconds at full tilt. Worse if the bike didn't start it wasn't going to. I understand that the fastest way to a starter clutch replacement is a crappy battery and it certainly was my experience.

Christian

+1 Christian. The old USB was a different battery. Apex will tell you that.

Your experience has turned me off to recommending this APX12220 a supposed stronger version of the UB12280 I had before.
Apparently, the quality has dropped in the last few years.
Mine is 2 years old now and still works Great But you and a few others have posted bad experiences with the APEX version of the UB12220.
Hopefully my APX12220 lasts at least 4-5 years.

I hope so Dennis. My old one would start my bike right now. It's staying in the generator until it fails. +6 year old I'd estimate. It's too bad they didn't keep it the way it was. But, with Dave's recent better luck with it, maybe it got straightened out.

Yes PC680 is the way to go but I wanted to try a cheaper option which the APEX was. The other PC 680'S I have , The one I bought 10 years ago won't start the bike any more but it's great to charge RC Car batteries. It still holds over 13 volts. The one I bought 4 years ago does great in my 89 with a 4 pole starter. Also holds at over 13v.
I don't recommend the APEX for anyone who wants to buy a battery once in a decade. However I have heard that Odyssey has cheapened their whole line too?????:bang head: Even the Industrial Batteries.

PS: My first APEX 12220 was green, this one is black If it matters.

so who makes a decent battery for our bikes. assuming I dont want to pay $150. or even over $100. thanks --- chuck

I have a Gen1, 1985 vintage. A few years ago I did the Gold Wing battery box mod. I'm running an Interstate AGM battery, and am happy with the results. The battery is at least 5 years old, and cranks the bike like it was new.

Back