Kick stand shortening danger

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
I heard that when doing any welding (electrical) grounding the welder to the bike's frame can damage electrical components of the bike:a014: , I don't know if this is true or not and what kind of damage does it do.
If anyone has more information about that subject please post it.
Thanks

Last edited:
Theoritically it can but most of the time you will never have a problem with it. The kickstand can and should be removed quite easily. We offer kickstand shortening for $10 and have a few cores we can send out to save wait time. It's a fairly simple process. There are also alternative methods to make the bike lean better though they can't get quite as much change as cutting the stand. If your bike isn't lowered tremendously then the altertantive methods work well but can't be reversed very easily. The stand can by simply getting antoher one.

Sean Morley

Most people I know have the kickstand removed during the shortening process

KRL0215 said:
Most people I know have the kickstand removed during the shortening process

This goes for any electrical welding on the bike, grounding the welder to the bike is a bad idea!.
I shortened my kick stand while its out but maybe you want to tweak it a little while on the bike to get the foot flat on the ground.

Last edited:
Ibrahim,take the stand off before cutting and welding it.If not put the ground on to the kickstand.It is best to keep the ground close to the welds.Grounding through bearings is bad and will arc them.I do not think it will harm any of the electronics this way.Keep a short path for the current.

Back