turbo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fzxbobber

Reaction score
You think it really a matters where you mount a turbo on the exhaust alsong as its after where all 4 pipes collect?:bang head:

You think it really a matters where you mount a turbo on the exhaust alsong as its after where all 4 pipes collect?:bang head:

Not really....have you ever seen STS Turbos? They mount turbos in the back of cars where the mufflers normally are. Work great.

There are some more things to consider....and it's probably not the most efficient way to do it, but you can certainly get one to work well mounted some where other than the "typical" location.

Mounting the turbo at the very rear of the exhaust has no effect on the "turbo lag". Once the intake tube is pressurized, it will perform the same as a turbo mounted in the "normal" position. Moving it to the back of the exhaust system has 2 added benefits... The turbo will stay about 3-400 degrees cooler, which in turn keeps the intake air cooler.

Well I got a really small TD 04 off a Toyota mr2 for cheap to play with. Laser cut a four bolt flange for it. Has water and oil ports for cooling. But it is a lil bulky so was thinking of fabing up a mount for the side of the frame. May make the bike a lil in balanced. But I need to find a switch that's turned on by rmps so at say 5 grand it kicks a electric fuel pump on to feed the carbs. And kicks off below 5 grand So at idle say stop light it doesn't flood the carbs. I thinks this would be a great winter project. Guess I need a fuel pressure regulator too. But I only wanna run 3-5 lbs boost max. Just the size of it I don't wanna mount it under the bike.

I do have an intercooled turbo system up for sale in our Muscle Sale section.

SFOC member in the UK's build :punk:

Attachments

• Turbo8.jpg
    Turbo8.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Turbo7.jpg
    Turbo7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Turbo6.jpg
    Turbo6.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 137
  • Turbo5.jpg
    Turbo5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Turbo3.jpg
    Turbo3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Turbo2.jpg
    Turbo2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Turbo1.jpg
    Turbo1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 135
Well I got a really small TD 04 off a Toyota mr2 for cheap to play with. Laser cut a four bolt flange for it. Has water and oil ports for cooling. But it is a lil bulky so was thinking of fabing up a mount for the side of the frame. May make the bike a lil in balanced. But I need to find a switch that's turned on by rmps so at say 5 grand it kicks a electric fuel pump on to feed the carbs. And kicks off below 5 grand So at idle say stop light it doesn't flood the carbs. I thinks this would be a great winter project. Guess I need a fuel pressure regulator too. But I only wanna run 3-5 lbs boost max. Just the size of it I don't wanna mount it under the bike.

All you really need is a fuel pump capable of a few psi more than your maximum amount of boost and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. The pump will always run wide open, but unused pressure and fuel recirculates back to the tank. The regulator will keep the pressure just a little above boost pressure to allow the fuel to flow and not be blown back to the tank. This is all assuming you are going to be building a blow through system. Float bowls will have to be pressurized as well. This can be done with a boost line into the bowl vent fitting. If you are planning a draw through setup then just ignore my babble as none of this applies.

There's also a tunable device made by aeromotive that uses RPM's and a boost reference to vary the DC output to a fuel pump.

Don't know if that would/could be useful here?

It tunes with slides like an equalizer.

I used one on my wife's 350Z to overdrive the fuel rail using an Aux fuel pump for a blower setup.
That was due to the ECU not being "cracked" at the time, no way reflash the ECU.

There's also a tunable device made by aeromotive that uses RPM's and a boost reference to vary the DC output to a fuel pump.

Don't know if that would/could be useful here?

It tunes with slides like an equalizer.

I used one on my wife's 350Z to overdrive the fuel rail using an Aux fuel pump for a blower setup.
That was due to the ECU not being "cracked" at the time, no way reflash the ECU.

Sounds like a cool setup for FI, but it will not work on carbs.

yjyrame6.jpg

Last weeks roll out. Up front saves on plumbing and you are getting a straight cold shot of air with it out in the wind.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

"Troweled-on metalflake" comes to-mind here. Someone, somewhere, is in-love w/this bike. I just can't see where the aesthetics of it are at-all appealing. The headlight looks like it got a goiter, w/the lens protruding-out like Marty Feldman's eyeballs. I'd expect the 'wings' on the side panels in-front of the bags would likely interfere w/the rear passenger's legs. The saddle looks like a cow's tongue left outside of the cooler at the slaughterhouse, and lying undiscovered, for a few days. And no filtration for the turbo? Maybe it's 'just-missing,' but so-is any good taste in the design of this Metalflake Mutant.:puke:

Latest posts

Back