High speed miss

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lew L

Reaction score
I took the "Y" off my Max today and after the bike was warmed up, it would miss at about 6000 RPM. It ran fine just a day ago. It didn't matter which position the T-boost switch was in. Low speed is just as normal---- very good.

So I've put the "Y" back on, checked the plugs and replaced the spark plug wires. I also replaced the fuel filter---- which didnt look dirty but the paper portion had detached from the metal inside the filter.

If it still misses I guess i'm into the carbs as that bad filter may have let plenty of crap through.

Any of you guys had that high speed miss and how did you solve the problem????????
"Thanks in advance,
Lew

Ya, I guess it does. Eventhough a riding bud has removed his "Y" and no probs at all???? He has one of those faster stock Max's.
I have raised the "Y" about 1/4" with no problems. I think my problem was related to either the fuel filter or the spark plug wires.
Lew

My "Y" is completely off, The rear portion of the airbox cover that still covers the filter inlet had been removed, the stock exhaust is completely hollowed out. (Yes it's loud)
I've got the needles shimmed and two coils cut off the slide springs.
No other carb/jetting mods other than slightly higher float level and 3 turns on the idle screws.
V-boost servo and cables are removed with the butterflys wired open.

Bike pulls very hard from 3500 up till redline with no bog, soft spots, or hesitation......

I will admit that low speed (10-15mph) first gear, no clutch throttle whacked open roll-ons has suffered very slightly but hard launches or roll ons usually involve some clutching for me...I can still pull a 1.70 60' time so it's not to bad once you get used to it.

Latest posts

Back