Trouble with idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
Hello all, again

Having an issue with my Gen 1. Just pulled it from storage two months ago, ran fine until yesterday. While stopped at a light, shut off on me. Cranked it up, shut back off. Put the choke on, cranked up and stayed on around 3000 rpm. Soon as I turned the choke off, shut off again. Played with the idle speed thumb screw, no change in rpms. Even with choke and at idle, the rpms go up and down. Some of the time it will maintain idle on its own, with the rpms raising and lowering on their own.

Any ideas?

Nick

Check your fuel filter. Could rust have developed in you tank while in storage ?

Give it a good dose of Seafoam, and take it for a ride. My '85 had the same problem a time or two over the 30 years I've owned it, and Seafoam did the trick. A hundred miles or so cleared up the carbs nicely, then dose the next few tankfuls with the Seafoam you didn't use the first heavy dose..

Plus to bills suggestion on every third tank or so I add correct amount of seafoam, fill up a little bottle like diff additive (gm) and keep it under the seat by fuel tank...

Seafoam is good stuff but Star Tron is the way to go. I use it with every tank full & everytime I start it up it runs just like the last time spot on.

Dave

Last edited:
Berryman B-12 is another good one. At least as effective as Seafoam, and costs half as much. I forgot about StarTron. Excellent stuff., too..

Back