clutch fluid leaking somewhere

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ml450f

Reaction score
What could be happening? The clutch fluid needs filled about 2 times a week. There's never any fluid on the floor under the bike. Its driving me nuts . Any ideas? Its a 1993 30000 miles.

Last edited:
Pop open the rubber cover at the clutch slave cylinder and shine a flash light around. If you don't have a leak up at the master cylinder, then you'll have a leak down there

Its wet in there from constantly bleeding it. Is it possible the fluid is leaking into the engine?

I'm betting it's getting past the seal in the slave cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The master only holds a few ounces. It's most likely running down the bottom of the engine when your riding, and using the clutch. Wash it off & dry it, fill the master, and throw some talc, or baby powder on the slave. You'll see it.

Ive done that. Before I parked it for the winter I filled it and bled it and toped off the reservoir. The bike sat all winter. When I got it out this spring the clutch lever went to the bar with no resistance. It needed fluid again. the clean white rag I placed under the engine when I parked it for the winter had no oil spots. I've had this bike for 3 years and have never had any problems till this one started. Can the fluid get into the engine through the push rod. This is my first street bike so I am not at all familiar with these engines and cant find any pics as to how this push rod enters the engine. Is there a seal that may have gone bad after 23 years.

Ive done that. Before I parked it for the winter I filled it and bled it and toped off the reservoir. The bike sat all winter. When I got it out this spring the clutch lever went to the bar with no resistance. It needed fluid again. the clean white rag I placed under the engine when I parked it for the winter had no oil spots. I've had this bike for 3 years and have never had any problems till this one started. Can the fluid get into the engine through the push rod. This is my first street bike so I am not at all familiar with these engines and cant find any pics as to how this push rod enters the engine. Is there a seal that may have gone bad after 23 years.

I'm going with NO, to that question.

I'm thinking you may have two problems here. 1) as stated before, you have a leak while riding (only) and it is being blown on the hwy as you use the clutch riding. 2) When you re-bled & refilled your system before parking it for the winter, you had some trapped air in the system (no leak) and the air made it's way upward during the off months, and became trapped as a big bubble right at the master cylinder banjo bolt. Unless you are telling us that when you went to ride it this spring, and your lever went clear into the bars without any clutch action, you also had an empty master cylinder reservoir. If that is the case, and nothing dripped onto your floor, I think you have someone playing an evil prank on you, because in my mind, and with my limited knowledge of our bikes' clutch system, that simply can't happen.

Latest posts

Back