Indexed or notched steering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
I notice when I sit on the bike straight up and turn the bars left to right, when I pass center, I can feel it like falling into a notch or index. Cant feel it while riding.

I know on my bicycle, that would mean a bad head bearing, the race would be notched or scored. Is that the same symptom that I need to replace the steering bearings? I have done the bounce test and was ok.

Thanks

I am wondering if I have the same problem, how can I check it? At low speed it seems to favor the side I start to turn to and is hard to steer back to straight...

But I have only ridden dirt bikes and my old 07 CBR before so I just assumed this was a cruiser thing.

I had the same symptoms 4 years ago. I let my bike sit in one position for about 1 1/2 years because of medical conditions. The bike had 16K on it so I knew it wasn't like that when I sat it up. I think the Jap grease had hardened on the lower or upper race and that was what I was feeling when I turned the handle bars. I over tightened the head bearings and rode for about 50 miles and then tightened it a bit more and rode for another 50. After the last 50 miles I checked for the hard spot and it was gone. I used the Morley bounce test to adjust the head bearings back to normal and haven't had that problem since. If your bike has a good many miles on her and hit some pot holes or travel rough roads, it may be best to disassemble and check or change the bearings out.

Thanks. For a 20 year old bike with 25 k miles on her, starting to go through a lot of small things that need replacing. i figure will change the steering now and wheels when I need to change the tires next.

Are the all balls bearings ok?

Grind some 'eyebrows' in the lower race mounting flange and it will be much easier to remove the bearings the next time. You will probably have to cut-out the outer race on the bottom to remove the current race. You can usually remove the upper bearing outer race but removing the lower one is a problem. Some people put a bead 180* apart on the lower outer race to get some purchase so you can hammer-out the race, or you cut it w/a small cutoff wheel.

Yes the 'All Balls' are OK, and you get a cool decal cartoon character for your toolbox.

Thanks. For a 20 year old bike with 25 k miles on her, starting to go through a lot of small things that need replacing. i figure will change the steering now and wheels when I need to change the tires next.

Are the all balls bearings ok?

Funny, I have a Team Fuju race bike that has self centering head set in the steering stem.

Latest posts

Back