Peculiar Stock Exhaust Issue.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threebeards

Reaction score
Hi All
So I've been puzzling over this for ages now.
The issue is, the rear right cylinder to left stock muffler pipe, just doesn't fit. It appears to be too short??!
more details: the other 3 pipes reach, if a little short in my opinion, although no leaks from any of the 3.
the gasket that interfaces each pipe to the muffler assembly, is the same length as the space left between the weld and the end of the pipe. Also the same length as the other rear pipe interface.
It doesn't look bent in any way, I've taped a piece of pipe on the end to see how much extra i would need, looks to be about an inch.
SO my solution is to weld same bit of extension on there.
BUT I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this or has any theories as to whats happened, I considered it may be a venture pipe, but the fiche doesn't suggest that to be the case.
Any thoughts are welcome
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Threebeards.

Each of the rear pipes are connected to a short exhaust manifold @ the rear head ports, that has somewhat of a swivel type gasket & tension clamp where the pipe meets the short exhaust manifold. You might be able to slightly loosen the tension clamp position your pipe into the muffler then re-tighten everything.
Good Luck!

Thanks Damon,
I'm very open to all theories, but that's not it, I have spent hours wiggling and re-fitting, it is as i said too short, there is a gap between the intermediate pipe and the muffler. the swivel action you mention is "fully swivelled" the solution, like i say is to extend it I'm almost 100% sure. I'm really after learning if anybody else has encountered this, or if i should be looking for signs of a crash which has in some way bent the frame.
This I doubt however as I've recently stripped the whole Bike down to get the frame powder coated, I think such a bend would be noticeable?

Have you tried the 'string around the wheel/tires' method of checking for alignment? You use a long string looped around the F & R wheels/tires about 4-5" off the ground, and the string should touch both the front and rear of the tire (either wheel) and should not have any gap. In other words, each wheel/tire should have the string touch it at the front and rear of that tire on both sides of the wheel, with no gap on either side at the rear of the front tire, or at the front of the rear tire. Any gap means you have a misalignment, which on a chain-driven bike is due to the chain adjusters being out of synch, one to the other.

As to your exhaust, perhaps trying to measure the pipe's overall length when you set it into the inside 90* of a framing square would give you an idea of the correct length, or the length of what yours is. I have a spare stock exhaust I could measure the pipes using that method to give you an idea of what a stock pipe measures. It sounds like you are doing the exhaust install correctly. Hooking everything up loosely, and then tightening things for best-fit and greatest insertion of female into male connections is the way to proceed. An extra pair of hands and sometimes a wood block and a rubber mallet is useful here, especially when fitting aftermarket slip-fits.

Thanks for your Interest guys,
Sean I will endeavor to get some pics,
Fire medic, Great idea, i will try the string method, and also measuring in the fashion described.
LOVE this Forum.

The downpipes have a copper ring on the upper flange that can shift a bit. Can you wiggle the pipe a bit and see if it will move?

I`m talking about part #5 in the attachment, that ring fits snug on the flange but can move up and down a bit.

Attachments

• exhaust.PNG
    exhaust.PNG
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi Rampage
I'm afraid all wiggling, tugging and pulling options have been ahem.....exhausted.
as the covers that fit so snugly between the heat shield and the cylinders, line up and fit perfectly with all screws going into designated holes.
Sean and Fire medic I work a 7day on 7 day off schedule so I hope to do the string trick, measuring and photos by the middle of next week.
Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring your much respected advice.
Cheers for now.

Back again!
Sean, its my first time uploading pics so, fingers crossed.
Firemedic, the string method was inconclusive as the rear tyre is wider than the front tyre, so Gaps on both sides of the front tyre.
the distance in a set square config using the (rather shonky) method in the pics shows 159mm.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

It's all there. Unless something is bent or otherwise changed from stock then it should fit. The top should have a spigot adapter that bolts to the head and then the clamp that pinches over it and the floating "washer" on the upper portion of this pipe.

Sean

I agree, I think it must be bent somehow. I'm going ahead with my plan to weld an inch extension on the bottom. Just curious to know what may have happened.

Latest posts

Back