Carb leak question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maniacmav

Reaction score
I spotted a leak after the bike sat overnight, noticed a spot on the floor. At first I thought it was an oil leak, but it's definitely gas, my whole garage smells of gas today. It was only a few drops actually on the ground, but I then noticed that there is a film all over the left side of the engine.

I am a total noob when it comes to carbs. I just grew up with EFI, so this carb stuff is foreign to me.

I have a leak on my #2 ( I think it's #2) carb. I'm having trouble pin pointing exactly where it's coming from. I took a pic, I think it's of the bowl drain screw.

Is that a common area for a leak to occur on these bikes? My other 3 carbs look shinny and pristine, but this one is nasty looking, must have been leaking for a while.

Anyway, here's the picture:

A2993F86-CFB3-4D4F-8E78-4B477A9EECCC_zpsvmue8nrf.jpg

26CB7C2A-B8FC-439D-B497-EEEFA51A73EA_zpsb9teje4e.jpg

Is there an oring or something sealing the drain screw off? or do you guys think the leak is coming from elsewhere.

I should have done that before hand. I will clean up the area and run the bike and see if I can see the leak.

Looks like the o-ring on the drain screw may have failed.

Would that have any affect when the drain screw is cranked in tight to seal off the drain? I would think not. (been too long since I've had one apart)

Would that have any affect when the drain screw is cranked in tight to seal off the drain? I would think not. (been too long since I've had one apart)

Not if the screw & seat were in good shape but being the lowest point in the bowl for fuel it's also where any water will collect causing rust & pitting on the screw. Don't know the year of the bike but if the o-ring has failed there's a good chance it's a bit 'long in the tooth'....giving ample opportunity for moisture to do it's evil.

I cleaned the area up last night, and removed the drain screw. I'm going to replace the oring anyway, since that's an easy fix, but couldn't start the bike last night to check for a leak (Had a sleeping 10 month old).

Won't be able to look at it again until friday, but I'll update this thread with what I find.

Always remember the properties of rubber. It will deteriorate on its own over time. It can be new in a bag, or installed in a bike, it just a matter of time. A micro crack in an O-Ring from just age, can allow fuel to seep out.
With that said.. Make sure you buy NEW RUBBERS Guys. you don't want anything seeping from you, where its not wanted.. LOL

Back