starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyost

Reaction score
Hello out there! Need help again. Put on a "new starterclutch", and it worked for about four good starts. Then as you can guess, no start. It engages for a couple cranks then the starter starts to free wheel. Over and over with no grinding sounds, like I heard before I replaced. So I took it apart again. But I cannot see anything wrong. The bike (2005 ) only got less then 3,000 miles. So the gears are OK. And the starter motor is good. Put the battery on charge (new). The three bolts were tight. When I installed I used red Loctite and double peened using new bolts. PLEASE any ideas anyone can share would be appreciated. Maybe I can get stiffer springs. Anyone try that? where could I get them. I bought the new clutch as a assembly. So all new parts. HELP Please
progress.gif

Well sounds like you have done all the right things related to the starter clutch install and the battery is fully charged. My question would be are you using synthetic type motor oil & if so what brand?

Did you install the starter cogs/gears properly? one of them has a shoulder that has to face outwards if i recall correctly, you may be experiencing meshing issues maybe.

OK thanks for replying. Using Yamaha lube oil. And yes things were installed per manual. What I didn't notice, or look closeley at was the ring gear. There was minor damage to the shouder. I ordered a new one today ($ 63). Cheap if it fixes my problem. "IF" !!! All so thinking about facing the couter bore the clutch sets in. On the back of the flywheel. Just to clean it up, no more. A couple thousands, maybe. Any other ideas out there. Thanks

OK here's the latest. I replaced the ring gear. And smoothed out the surface on the back of the flywheel. Things were going good. Put a little RTV sealant on the wire grommets. And a new gasket on the crankcase cover, torqued the bolt in a cress cross fashion. Fixed my front valve cover for leaks ( I think ). I hope. Tried to start the beast. It was cracking pretty good. But you guessed it . NO Start. Damn it anyway. I have no clue. I pulled a spark plug and tried to ground it and hit the starter. No spark!!!!! Good battery, all the electrical connections are made. Checked fuses. Is there a wrong way of putting on the flywheel outer cover, ( stator ). What do the two small Allen screws on the crankcase cover do. There in, just wondering. Don't have any extra bolts or screws left over. LOL. Did take out the three Phillips screws on the inside of the crankcase cover. But I but new ones back in. Was going to separate to clean the gasket material off, but I saw all the wires ( Five ). So I didn't take the pick-up out or the stator. Just saying. Any ideas, I'm guessing it's something easy and I'm just over looking it.

Check your main fuse to see if its a tight hold on the fuse...
check battery wiring, Also check battery voltage.

You may have bad stater to, If sometimes the starter spins and not catching or your get nothing when you hit the start switch....

A few yeas ago I my fuse socket shorting...

Attachments

• P1050905.jpg
    P1050905.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 23
No spark, first thing I would suspect is the pickup, whether it was disturbed or not.
Check the resistance between the two wires at the connector (below the seat, lhs). Should be "80.8-121.2 ohms @68f."
if not this, no doubt something else very simple.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back