88 vmax1200 starter, hot start repair

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubari

Reaction score
I have in my gen1 1200vmax, well known hot start problem.
One theory about that is that starter shaft expanding due heating of the engine.
So if i put collector to lathe and take of..lets say like 0.05mm of from shaft. pic 1 below. Is that solution?
The shaft have bearings in both end, so its hard to understand how if shaft expading would create more friction and make starter rotation harder.?

How about replacing coils ? Old coil did look ok tho.. Pic 2

Of cource cleaning caps between collector elements, allso sanding them softly, and elements inside starter housing allso. Pic 3

Somewhere i read that the ground in coil's is inadequate, so last summer i made extra grounding cable from battery straight to starter housing. That helped a bit..i quess [emoji15] Anyway..now im gonna add this extra grounding mod that i found somewere from net. Metallic plate in 90° angle, with threaded holes whitch are attached to "coilplate" and another attachment point to starter housing cap. Pic 4,5,6
(these three pictures are from some site in net)
Any experience about this ?

Thanks
Mikko

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417363061794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417363061794.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417363355621.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417363355621.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 40
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417363644826.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417363644826.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417364275692.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417364275692.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417364685600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417364685600.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417364699483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417364699483.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 40
I have always been told that the best upgrade to cure the "hot start" problem is to go from the older 2 pole starter to the later 4 pole starter. It is also my understanding that they will just interchange without any issue.

yes, i have heard that too. Any idea where is 4 pole starters available ? I live in EU, and spareparts are not so easy to find. offcource nos parts are available, but price´s are ridiculus.
From what year model max have 4 pole starter? is it good for all gen1 max´s?

1FK-81890-00-00 is the number for the 4 pole starter, and Yamaha switched to them in 2001. They ALL interchange.

I would post an ad in the Vmax parts WANTED section, and see what kind of prices someone can give you, but be honest and let people know that they will be shipping to Europe.

You can also check on ebay for the specific starter, but you have to go off of the sellers reputation.

There is also a Vmax group in the uk. Its called Vmaxchat.co.uk That is also a possibility.

Max Midnight here is either an admin, or moderator there.

Hope this helps.

First off get a 4 pole starter, then the better battery. If not at least make sure the ground plate is clean and the tangs make better contact with the armature case. I am about to restore my 85, it has the hot start problem, I may add an extra dedicated ground wire to the mounting bolt from the new s idea of the battery.
These starters are well known even on other bikes of the brush plate having a poor design of grounding, it relies upon three bent tangs, that's it, many times just cleaning and bending them out a bit helps a lot.

Some people make copper straps inside. A heavier cable from the solenoid helps with soldered terminals helps, that's what I will do.

4 pole starter for gen1 max.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420652587481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420652587481.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 31
Good deal, I hope you didn't pay too much. It look new, I had someone give me a old starter they had, I went to clean it and saw it was a 4pole.. It works 100% better. I also did the starter clutch, its like a new bike when it comes to starting now...

Yes, a new one, got the link from one previos posts.It was 89 $.
I installed it yesterday and it defenetly starts better than before. I allso have thicker ground cable from battery installed from before, between the starter attachment bolt and starter. Its winter back here now, so i dont have too good conditions to try hot start, but if i get an opportunity to try, I'll let you guys know how it is working

The GREEN battery from apex is a killer price and has solved SOOOO many problems.Blinkers, starting, charging and the cold cranking amps are amazing.

Back