yes,another charging topic...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, 0.8 to 0.9 across stator wires.
now its charging at 14.37 at idle but its the same if i give it some gas.
still has the problem as the fan kicks in the voltage drop but i have no paciece right now to sort it out...
hope its the beginning of something that's going wrong and when it goes bad its easier to check and replace, as for now its going to work like that.

Sorry if this has been addressed already.
looking at your earlier post, you stated that the voltage is someplace around 14.1 but drops down near 13 when the fan kicks in?

A 1 volt drop across a running fan that large, is not that bad, as long as there is not something rubbing on the fan, causing the motor to draw more current than normal.

The charge voltage drops, as the revs goes up, then increases as the revs gets back toward idle. I know, I know, it didn't sound right to me either,, but the guys on the forum confirmed it.. LOL

You also mentioned that the bike starts to stumble when the fan kicks in. Bypassing the fact that the fan is on, now the temps are high enough to kick the fan on.

3 years ago, I had a hell of a time on my 91 with stumbling, then dying, once it got warm.
I checked out everything, it drove me nuts... The guys lead me to the Stator pick-up coil.
It was starting to fail.. I changed it out,, Problem solved.. I found one here. http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/19902007-Yamaha-VMax-VMAX-VMX1200-Stator-Pick-up

it only starts to fail when voltage is low,from my understanding is normal.
whats not normal is voltage drop below operating voltage when more load than headlight is present.
and its only a bike with less than 9000km,which seems odd to me.

it only starts to fail when voltage is low,from my understanding is normal
yes, it should start to fail when the voltage is low.. Now for the question, why is the voltage getting low?
1) is it coincidence that the voltage is getting low when the fan kicks in?
2) is the Fan the cause of the voltage drop?
3) Both 1 and 2 can be ruled out if an external fan was blown onto your radiator, and dis-connect your internal fan. This way, if it starts to stumble when warm, its not your fan that causing the problem.

no,it only misses when low voltage because of fan or other load to the system.
at least it only did that at shop when idling,have to try it out on the road,because some times voltage was low and the fan was always off.
changed spark plugs,might help it idle better.

no,it only misses when low voltage because of fan or other load to the system.
at least it only did that at shop when idling,have to try it out on the road,because some times voltage was low and the fan was always off.
changed spark plugs,might help it idle better.
Would you be interested in putting a set of cops on it-they seem to fix a lot of bugs and misses on these bikes?

went for a ride today and bike works fine with new plugs.
might be bad despite they only have less than 9000km...
only think to change to cops when stock units go bad,if not i prefer to invest on something else.

Back