need your help with an oil weep

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its taking it to a point where you will be the one weeping... LOL
The venture hole you talk about is in the stator cover... you are talking about the shift shaft centering hole right?

Its taking it to a point where you will be the one weeping... LOL
ain't that the truth :rofl_200:
The venture hole you talk about is in the stator cover... you are talking about the shift shaft centering hole right?
yes, i recall someone stating that yamaha used the same cover for the max and venture, that's why i called it the "venture" hole. am i correct with this statement?

I know its been a while since the last post. But wondering if this weep was ever solved? I have the same issue I think? Oil leaking only after the bike has been running to operating temp. Oil hanging from that bolt head near the shift shaft. Slave and shift seal are both new and RTV applied to them as well. I've had the middle gear cover off twice and checking and resealing, and still no stop to the leak.:ummm:

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 42
Did you ever find the source of your oil leak?
Sounds like the same leak I have. I bought and installed a rebuild kit for my clutch slave cylinder which included the piston seal, the outer dust seal, the seal for the clutch rod, and new spring.. I also installed a new middle gear cover gasket. I filled the oil close to the top line (1/8") while on the centerstand. Didn't leak while sitting, just after riding. I can see oil spattered a little on the exhaust on the left side. Not a major leak, but I want to get it fixed.
Bike has 14,000 miles, no other issues.

I think I found my leak. Had the middle gear cover off, and the slave. Seals look good and dry. But noticed what looked like oil wicking through the engine case right beside the slave. I'm not about to rip it down again for that, so now need to find a plan of attack?

I think I found my leak. Had the middle gear cover off, and the slave. Seals look good and dry. But noticed what looked like oil wicking through the engine case right beside the slave. I'm not about to rip it down again for that, so now need to find a plan of attack?
I'm gonna check to see if mine is leaking there, too. If it is, I may see if I can sand the area and put some Quick Steel on it.
Do you need to drain the oil to take the middle gear cover off?

There is a seal under the slave to seal engine oil into the block.

Are you talking about the small seal that goes around the clutch shaft?
I installed a clutch cyl rebuild kit which came with this clutch shaft seal.
Just to clarify, you mean the shift (lever) shaft seal? #9 in this diagram:
http://www.ronayers.com/SHIFT-SHAFT--C443223.aspx

Sean is talking about the clutch slave cylinder seal that keeps the engine oil out of clutch slave cylinder.
These are two different seals.

Both my seals(shift shaft, and behind slave) were dry. The oil was coming through the cases just beside the slave. I put some epoxy on it and ran it. No leaks,I think I might have it.
And yes, you have to drain the oil to remove the middle gear cover.

Just to clarify, you mean the shift (lever) shaft seal? #9 in this diagram:
http://www.ronayers.com/SHIFT-SHAFT--C443223.aspx

Sean is talking about the clutch slave cylinder seal that keeps the engine oil out of clutch slave cylinder.
These are two different seals.
No, I haven't touched the shift lever seal. The leak is up higher and to the front of that. The seals I replaced were the one that goes around the outer diameter of the clutch slave cylinder and the seal for the clutch rod, all came in the rebuild kit. After reinstalling all of that, I still have a small leak. I can see a little oil on the bottom bolt of the clutch slave cylinder and in the area to the rear of that spot. I used my Haynes manual as a reference for this job.

I found the clutch rod seal to have a loose fit. It is possible your leak could be around that. You might have pull the seal out with a pick and put some RTV on the outside of it. Good luck

I know its been a while since the last post. But wondering if this weep was ever solved?

Did you ever find the source of your oil leak?

No guys, after a month or so of not seeing any evidence of a weep, I apparently haven't solved my problem. Thanks for resurrecting this thread because the follow ups are giving me a better idea of where to start.

ninjaneer; Thanks for resurrecting this thread because the follow ups are giving me a better idea of where to start.[/QUOTE said:
No prob, LOL Today is day two and still no drips of oil anywhere :clapping:
I haven't had it out for a road test yet, since the roads are still a damn sandbox from the winter. But with it running on the center stand till operating temp and rev it a few times, seems good.

I installed another seal kit for my clutch slave cyl. I also put some Quick Steel on the area to the rear of the slave cyl where it lookied like it was leaking. I am still getting a small oil leak. Some shows on the left exhaust at the front end of the chrome piece just before it goes under the frame. It looks like I may have to remove the engine to really find the source. The leak's not too bad, so it can wait til next winter.

V4bandit, what brand/type epoxy did you use? Did you have to sand the area down first?

I cleaned up the leaking area with electrical cleaner, then roughed up the area with steel wool. The epoxy I used was JB weld, and let it set up overnight.

I have since had the bike out for about 150kms of riding and no leak detected yet. I would like to think I nailed it.

Also like to give another shout out to Sean Morley!! Thank for helping me with the parts I needed to resurrect my bike. You sir are awesome:punk:

First the bolts do not enter any oil gallery. I know I built my motor. If the oil is on the slave cylinder bolt than take the clutch slave cylinder off & replace the seal. Currently mine is down because mine blows the seal clean out of the block after 15 minutes of running. I have custom piece ordered from John at PCW Racing to fix my problem. Please look in your owner's manual. I am new to this vmax forum but I have built my own motor. She has been together for over 4 years & 12,000 miles. The oil seal does not fit well in the block from factory. I will post fix on this forum next week when I get the piece I need.

When I first started trying to find the source of my oil leak, I noticed the outer seal on the slave cylinder seal was blown out (see attached) which was in the general area where the leak was coming from. I rebuilt the slave cylinder with all new seals. It still leaked, but the outer seal was not blown out this time. I bought another slave rebuild kit and installed it. It still leaked and the seal was not blown out again. I don't know if the leak is coming from the slave cylinder, but it is coming from that area and I don't know what else could leak unless it's a main gasket. Let me know how the seals from PCW work.

Thanks!

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
Back