need your help with an oil weep

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a kit out there on the net that has the clutch push rod seal. I got my kit from local bike shop. But you can order the seal by itself. The Yamaha replacement seal is under 5 bucks with tax. Just go to like Bike Bandit & type in the search engine clutch push rod seal and their should be a list of different suppliers of this seal. I don't have the part number handy right now but going down hopefully to bring the bike this weekend & I will get the part number but you should be able to find the part on line.

I finally got that custom clutch rod seal holder from PCW racing installed.
It didn't help my leak at all. This is an old post so to review I have a small oil leak on my 2003 VMax. It appears to be coming from the clutch slave cylinder area. I installed a new complete slave cylinder rebuild kit, including the rod seal, twice, didn't help either time.. I used the Haynes manual as a reference. I even ordered the $12 a tube specail grease you're supposed to put on the end of the shaft. After all of that I tried the seal holder from JCW which is just a metal piece that helps hold the rod seal in place., still has a small leak. Some gets on the exhaust pipe close to the kickstand.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks!

I had that problem until I used black RTV sealant on the seal before installing it. That seal fits loosely and it does not seal tight when pressed into the cases, I actually pressed mine in with my thumbs. So, in my case the seal was leaking from around the seal to case. Inspect the rod for scratches, remove the seal with out damaging, if you can. Spray some carb choke cleaner into the cavity and clean the surface good. Then apply black RTV sealant on the outer edge of the seal and also see if you can get some into the case cavity. Press the seal in until it is even with the engine case, bolt it back together and allow 24 hrs for sealant to cure. Keep the bike leaning to the right or if you have the oil drained keep the oil from contacting the newly installed seal until cure time is complete. Also make sure you don't have too much oil in your engine and breather pipe to air box is not kinked in some sort of way.

I finally got that custom clutch rod seal holder from PCW racing installed.
It didn't help my leak at all. This is an old post so to review I have a small oil leak on my 2003 VMax. It appears to be coming from the clutch slave cylinder area. I installed a new complete slave cylinder rebuild kit, including the rod seal, twice, didn't help either time.. I used the Haynes manual as a reference. I even ordered the $12 a tube specail grease you're supposed to put on the end of the shaft. After all of that I tried the seal holder from JCW which is just a metal piece that helps hold the rod seal in place., still has a small leak. Some gets on the exhaust pipe close to the kickstand.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks!

First, I would suggest making SURE that`s where the leak is. I had the same issue and it turned out to be leaking at the rear of the engine from between the to case halves. I used talcun powder to find it:

670px-Troubleshoot-Leaking-Oil-Step-3.jpg

Wipe the area clean and apply some talcun powder. Oil leaking from the engine will take the powder with it allowing you to see the origin of the leak.

I use foot odor spray instead of powder. It sticks to the bottom of engines and things and is easy to clean off once you identify the source.

Latest posts

Back