broke where the oil filter screws on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks. It sounds like you do know it's a major downgrade from the vmax engine. If you're paying good money, I'd find a 1300 and put vmax parts on her. I'm doing this convertion myself. I just want a sreeming street engine that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm thinking stock vmax heads w/fresh valve job. A custom crank instead of the expensive valve train upgrades. Trans and crank, will go off to Sean. $1800 max budget. I have the engine and vmax parts already. A new oil pump will be prudent.

If I use the heads and cams from the vmax on the venture 1200 block the loss should be minimal, they both have 10.5 to1 ratios I believe. Heavier rods on venture, may lose a hundred or two rpm.
Will be posting all other comments on the new thread I started so others can use that knowledge as well.

The 83-85 1200's are a lot lower in compression with the dished pistons. You'll have a noticeable loss but better then not having a bike for sure.

i dont remember the ratio. heres piston comparisons

Attachments

• Piston Comparison.jpg
    Piston Comparison.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 28
I was thinking that could be a good option for a charged engine if the lower compression suited the option.

If the 85 Vmax valves will clear the 83 venture 1200 lower engine pistons then thats what I may wind up doing if I find the inside too far trashed, and just to bring up to date that "Free" 85 Vmax I posted earlier has not just the broken filter boss but a snapped crankshaft, how it got broke I am not certain but the engine is not seized, it appears somebody was taking off flywheel so I suspect an overly strong arm and too much breaker bar in the wrong direction may have broken the crank.

I just want a restored Vmax, I am not interested in stoplight racing, drag racing or other testosterone fueled events.

But a used one with matching bearings is only $75 on Fleabay.

Just a weird kinda update, bought a second 85 V max and was just now checking it out and it has a spin on filter, so I am thinking the owners past may have either did a lower case upgrade or a 96 or later engine in bike.

The vin number on the engine should give an idea of the year.

The lower case does not look like the 85 canister type, I have a used one I bought off ebay, filter is screwed In without any middle plate adapter and the cross member has a bend over the filter. Soon as I get the engine number I will try to see what's here, maybe it's also upgraded with newer ignition as well.

You can look easily to see if it's had a harness upgrade. You can also check the frame for the production date to make sure it is the year they said it is. Look for either a 2 wire (orange/black) pickup coil wire or a 5/6 wire connector under the seat.

Sean

Latest posts

Back