Valve clearance measuring method

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksbugs

Reaction score
Thanks to Sean and his shim kit and NaughtyG and his thorough "how-to", I'm doing my valve clearance adjustment this weekend.
However, I've been thinking about the method used by NaughtyG to check the valve clearance vs the Service Manual method.
Why did the Yamaha engineers come up with such a complicated procedure to check the valve clearance (TDC, T1/T2 Mark check) instead of just writing "make sure the lobes are up when checking the valve clearance".
Is there really a big difference between the two methods or do we just get the same results ?
To me, it doesn't make sense why they'd write that procedure in the service manual if we get the same results with the lobes up.
Anybody could help me understand that ?

Thanks to Sean and his shim kit and NaughtyG and his thorough "how-to", I'm doing my valve clearance adjustment this weekend.
However, I've been thinking about the method used by NaughtyG to check the valve clearance vs the Service Manual method.
Why did the Yamaha engineers come up with such a complicated procedure to check the valve clearance (TDC, T1/T2 Mark check) instead of just writing "make sure the lobes are up when checking the valve clearance".
Is there really a big difference between the two methods or do we just get the same results ?
To me, it doesn't make sense why they'd write that procedure in the service manual if we get the same results with the lobes up.
Anybody could help me understand that ?

My assumption would be the service manual wants you to be at a known cam position vs. a subjected lobes up. Lobes up could be different if say I eyeball lobes up then someone else uses a different angle of lobes up that may put them into the start of cam profiles?

I wonder the same thing. On my other bike, you can check the clearance at 9, 12 or 3 o'clock with respect to the plane of the head. At none of these positions is the cam doing any work on the valve. So whats the difference:confused2:

Latest posts

Back