Rear axle spacer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdrrock

Reaction score
My name is Robert and I live in Rhode Island
Could somebody tell me which way the spacer/washer faces. The one between the wheel and caliper bracket on the rear wheel. I found it flat side out but the Clymer manual seems to contradict that. Also there seems to be a big difference of opinion on axle torque. I'm reading 110 but the forum is anywhere from 35 to 90. Thanks for your help.

That's how I've placed my washer also. Step to the inside against the bearing inner race. Mine is milled down on the flat side, to accommodate my Kosman wheel and relieve the loading. I don't tighten my axle beyond 30 lbs or so. The 110 torque puts to much load on the bearings IMHO. The nut isn't going anywhere. It's cotter pinned on early gen 1's and uses an elastic lock nut on later models. I'd ditch the elastic nut after a few removals, if it gets torn up. I don't think I've ever herd of one loosening while riding. There are some threads here on this subject.
Steve

Could somebody tell me which way the spacer/washer faces. The one between the wheel and caliper bracket on the rear wheel. I found it flat side out but the Clymer manual seems to contradict that. Also there seems to be a big difference of opinion on axle torque. I'm reading 110 but the forum is anywhere from 35 to 90. Thanks for your help.

RI?. PM sent.

That's how I've placed my washer also. Step to the inside against the bearing inner race. Mine is milled down on the flat side, to accommodate my Kosman wheel and relieve the loading. I don't tighten my axle beyond 30 lbs or so. The 110 torque puts to much load on the bearings IMHO. The nut isn't going anywhere. It's cotter pinned on early gen 1's and uses an elastic lock nut on later models. I'd ditch the elastic nut after a few removals, if it gets torn up. I don't think I've ever herd of one loosening while riding. There are some threads here on this subject.
Steve

Thanks. Mine is a 2004. I could always drill it and pin it for peace of mind.

The newer ones are a metal locking nut. They seem to last pretty well.

Try to tighten the nut by hand. If you can't snug it by hand its still safe to assume its doing its job IMO.

As far as torque on that nut goes, use whatever number floats your boat. I just put my 27mm wrench on it and go a bit past snug to what I'd consider just tight enough :biglaugh:

The newer ones are a metal locking nut. They seem to last pretty well.

Try to tighten the nut by hand. If you can't snug it by hand its still safe to assume its doing its job IMO.

As far as torque on that nut goes, use whatever number floats your boat. I just put my 27mm wrench on it and go a bit past snug to what I'd consider just tight enough :biglaugh:

I think my elbow clicks at 30 lbs. Mike.

Latest posts

Back