Dynabeads first impressions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
So I decided to try Dynabeads after reading up a little bit on the idea.

Over this winter, I put new Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires on the bike. 170 in the back, 120 in the front.

Initial rides have proven to be very smooth when cruising at speeds up to 100 mph.

I haven't gone faster yet because of the following:

When you accelerate with VBoost, the entire bike starts shaking as though the wheels are out of balance. This is very noticeable during spirited acceleration, less so under moderate acceleration and not present at all when cruising at any given speed up to 100 mph.

My conclusion is that the VMax produces enough Gs to knock the Dynabeads out of where they should be, producing an unbalanced effect.

I felt nothing like this at the end of last season, or when I had just the rear Shinko with Dynabeads and my old Dunlop up front last month.

I'll ride around some more and decide whether to keep them for this season or revert back to normal balancing methods.

More to come later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im running dynabeads, and have gone 140, with Vboost getting me there. (Radials), and did the same with shinkos on the front and rear (bias ply).

I wonder if its something else? Dyna beads usually dont work below 10-15 mph because they are held in place with centrifugal force. Ive never heard of them being knocked out of place from being spun too fast?

I, like Eric, use Dynabeads in Shinko Verge radials (4 years) and have been over 140 quite a few times without issue. I also wonder if there may be something else up, a loose engine/ swing arm mount, something that may be more affected under hard acceleration.

I've been using dyna beads for a few years now. I test them at speed quite often. No complaints from me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into it further then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run dyna beads with bias ply shinko tourmaster's been to 145 several times no problems, but when I first got my max it had terrible head shake even after I adjusted my head bearings, took them apart and it appeared the PO replaced the bearings without greasing them, looked liked the only lubrication they had was the film of oil they are shipped with and after being mixed with some road dirt that hardened into a substance like old dried up maple syrup mixed with dirt, so you might want to check there for your problem mines stable as a rock now

I use them, but get my tire positioned on the wheel for the best balance I can achieve, first. Then I use the recommended amount of beads. My last front tire balanced perfect without anything in it. I have gotten Shinko bias plys that needed a lot of weight and suspect the shop that mounted them didn't get them on right. I no longer let anyone change or balance my tires. It was well worth the small investment of a few basic tools. Wayne got one that was running out so bad he sent it back. Point is, it's worth checking new tires before hitting the triple digits on the speedo. Nothing like a smooth ride at any speed.
Steve-o

I, like Eric, use Dynabeads in Shinko Verge radials (4 years) and have been over 140 quite a few times without issue. I also wonder if there may be something else up, a loose engine/ swing arm mount, something that may be more affected under hard acceleration.

I've tried to figure things out a little more and can provide the following:

smooth head bearings

new Shinko 230's - front and back - no big runout issues...

tight swingarm

acceleration in 3rd gear to 85-95 mph is less shaky than in 4th or 5th gear

I understand that I am asking for more power out of the engine in the higher gears, so not really surprised about some additional engine related vibration at the higher gears BUT the shaky feel that I get does seem to be related to engine loading...

the question is - how do I tell if I have a bad engine mount??:ummm:

smooth head bearings

tight swingarm

I understand that I am asking for more power out of the engine in the higher gears, so not really surprised about some additional engine related vibration at the higher gears BUT the shaky feel that I get does seem to be related to engine loading...

Update: pulled my spark plugs and found #3 cyl plug wet.

This obviously does not help.

Started a new thread.

For those looking at Dynabeads, sounds like my issue is likely caused by something else.

being an avid road racer on the track, I rebalance my race rubber after every race, Ive found that race rubber wearing out does throw off the balance abit, +/- 1/2oz to 1/4oz at a time, as for the rubber on the Vmax, not so much, but I chk mine anyway, and have found the weighting has chgd.

smooth head bearings

tight swingarm

Visual inspection?. You can't see much until you remove them They last a long time, but speaking for my self, If I bought another Gen 1, I'd put Delrin or aluminum mounts in right away. They're a good bang for the buck. Vibration isn't an issue. You could apply a load with a bar on the engine and observe, I guess.

Visual inspection?. You can't see much until you remove them They last a long time, but speaking for my self, If I bought another Gen 1, I'd put Delrin or aluminum mounts in right away. They're a good bang for the buck. Vibration isn't an issue. You could apply a load with a bar on the engine and observe, I guess.

Thanks!

I have thought about switching to solid mounts and will keep this in the back of my mind.

First priority will be sorting out the motor shake under load in 4th and 5th gear based on these plugs:

6f6c09e21417e49e99ba8ed2a195e9ea.jpg

Latest posts

Back