Okay, this is embarrassing, but...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stites

Reaction score
I have an 82 Suzuki GS300. I look like a circus bear on the friggin thing. Just more motivation to hunt down a Vmax, I tell myself.

Seriously though, it's my wife's - she found one she wanted and jumped on it. It's nice for what it is, but she wants it a bit louder. Not straight pipes loud, just more meaty sounding. Anyone fiddled with OEM mufflers of this particular flavor? I'm not at all above debaffling them, putting a pair of pods on the carbs, and rejetting. Just curious as to what the debaffling process will involve, thanks in advance!

The small Suzukis and the Kawasakis have a reputation of being very cold blooded and difficult to run in a modded state. My advice is to not mess with the thing, use it as-is, and trade up to something else if she's outgrowing it. Those new 500 Hondas for not much money are a great deal. A warranty is always reassuring. It should be easier to sell stock, as well.

The current bike mags have run articles on the entry level bikes and they give high marks to the Yamaha twin, the R3.

If you're dead set on mods, does it have removable baffles? I don't know, but I doubt it.

I have no clue, but whatever's in there is riveted in. I'm kinda with you on keeping it stock, but she wants it louder(love at first sight). And I'm sure if I debaffle it, it'll need pod filters and a re-jet too. T'would be a different aminal altogether.

I'd REALLY like to talk her into a V45 Magna. I know they have oiling issues to be remedied, but aside from that I hear they last like a Vmax when maintained. Plus, she'd never outgrow it... come to think of it, she's pretty much done growing. :p

I don't think you should mess w/it, tell her, "stock is gonna allow us to sell this when you are ready to move up." Also, those 400 twins are supposed to be hard to tune for mods like carb and exhaust. Why mess w/it if it runs OK? We all like the looks of Kate Upton but who wants to deal w/how Kim Kardashian behaves?
images
images

Leave it stock, save the headaches.

I think the oiling was only the first year V45's, I don't think the later ones had it. I passed on a first year VFR750, 41 K miles, for $400. If it had been an indoor bike, and looked better cosmetically, maybe, but it wasn't.
vfr750-g.jpg

I've had a lot of the smaller twins, KZ305, KZ440 Sport (a very well-equipped bike, I bought it for a song from someone who was moving out of FL, < 9K miles, w/original bill of sale, owners manual, Clymer manual, and stone stock. A quick flip after a battery, carb rebuild kits, and a mechanical advance), two CB305's, CL305, CB350, Suzuki 500G... . I just don't think you will be happy after messing w/it from stock. Look at the forums for your bike and I bet you will see plenty of guys complaining about carb and exhaust mods, and how the bike 'just doesn't run right.'

Sell it and trade-up.

My first street bike was a 1983 Suzuki GS300. My dad gave it to me when I was 15. I learned to ride the hell out of that bike and spent a lot of time two up with friends and females. The bike drove me nuts for a while when a wire on one of the coils worked loose and would intermittently cut out a cylinder. I loved that first taste of freedom and rode it year round in Toronto Canada.

As for the exhaust.... I remember drilling holes in the back of the tailpipe and then removing the metal surrounding the pipe. Didn't remove any baffles and it definitely made it louder. I don't recall the bike having any direct need adjustment with my immature attempt at an exhaust mod. Keep in mind that this was 27 years ago and I won't vouch for any results you might get from trying this on your bike.

I'm thinking if I do it, it'll be on another set of OEMs. Do that, pods, and jets, but keep everything to put it back to original.

And maybe a 16/40 sprocket combo if the power is there.

Latest posts

Back