Entering Drag Race - Hungary

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They posted the race results. As stated before, I did not qualify. But here are the final results of my class (street 954cc+)

Dipping into the 9's...

RACE RESULTS

Here's a scan of my qualifying runs.

Qualifying_slips_zpssepg9jqa.jpg

Good job!

Thank you. But again - I'm a novice. The Q2 was without using the clutch after second gear - just banging through. One of my slowest times. I need to refine this procedure with practice.

The rear tire broke loose 3 times in the right lane, so I favored the left. As you can see I was strong to 60 feet, then I got owned.

The Max sure got a lot of attention, though. It DEFINITELY looked the part and sounded the part.

Another event is scheduled for June 26-27. Not sure if I'll make it. I would love to get some trackside pics and videos. My burnouts are intimidating to the competition, I'm sure. It shakes the earth. :biglaugh: But you all know this.

The Q2 was without using the clutch after second gear - just banging through.

You make me nervous when I read that.

You are chopping (closing) the throttle when shifting without the clutch, correct?

If you do that the shift will be perfectly smooth and will not damage anything in the gearbox. Will also be much quicker than using the clutch. I normally call that speed shifting.

Glad you're enjoying the racing! It is fun!

You make me nervous when I read that.

You are chopping (closing) the throttle when shifting without the clutch, correct?

If you do that the shift will be perfectly smooth and will not damage anything in the gearbox. Will also be much quicker than using the clutch. I normally call that speed shifting.

Yes, I'm blipping the throttle. I'm just not used to it.

Cool.

You should pre-load the shift lever with your foot.....steady firm upward pressure. Then when you close the throttle the next gear will snick right in. Then repeat. :)

Well, I am planning to do it again.
June 26 - 27, weather permitting. Yes, I'm sure I will lose again. But $21 to race on a track for 2 days? How can you beat that? :eusa_dance:
If only I could just QUALIFY... but I'm just there for experience and fun. I'm sure I intimidate my opponents during my burnout when the roar of my bike nearly cracks the pavement.

NEED TIRE PRESSURE ADVICE

I understand that if I run lower pressure in the rear, I will gain traction on the launch. But I consistently suffer on the top end at high speed. My heavy bike just can't keep up. If my pressure is low in the rear, won't that decrease my top speed? :confused2:

So where is a good balance?

The tire will expand "balloon" at high speed. lower pressure will increase traction for the launch and I don't think it will affect your top end. I think I read in a thread yesterday that 18lbs was what a guy was running but that was on a gen2 with 240 rear. I used to run 10-12 lbs in the rear on my maxim.

I'll bet if you post the size and make of your tires some one on here could let you know exactly what pressure to run.

Cool.

You should pre-load the shift lever with your foot.....steady firm upward pressure. Then when you close the throttle the next gear will snick right in. Then repeat. :)

I've been practicing this myself and holey smokes I thought something was wrong with my shift light cause it was lighting up so much faster than it used to!!:biglaugh:

I've been practicing "speed shifting" without the clutch after second gear for the last couple weeks. It's very unnatural and "clunky." As mentioned earlier, I was quicker using the clutch in the 1/4 mile. With 30 years of clutching through every shift, I can do it pretty quickly.

Dropped off the V-Max with a local mechanic this morning. Read about it here.

Hopefully I get the bugs worked out before the race on Friday and Saturday! :ummm:

IT'S A GO!!!​

I got my bike back from the shop. They were able to extract the idle mixture screw and replace it. They also cleaned and synchronized the carbs and checked all the wheel bearings and steering head bearings (high-speed wobble). Bearings were all good. He suspects the rear tire. Because of my riding habits, the center is worn, and the tire is kind of "square." Not sure if that would affect the wobble.

But the carbs are good and it runs VERY smooth. I also bought some straps to try to strap the front down at the track.

Attending a retirement for a friend, then immediately after, hitting the road for the 4.5 hour ride to the track to race a couple days. I'm really stoked. :eusa_dance:

Last edited:
IT'S A GO!!!​

I got my bike back from the shop. They were able to tap the idle mixture screw out and replace it. They also cleaned and synchronized the carbs and checked all the wheel bearings and steering head bearings (high-speed wobble). Bearings were all good. He suspects the rear tire. Because of my riding habits, the center is worn, and the tire is kind of "square." Not sure if that would affect the wobble.

But the carbs are good and it runs VERY smooth. I also bought some straps to try to strap the front down at the track.

Attending a retirement for a friend, then immediately after, hitting the road for the 4.5 hour ride to the track to race a couple days. I'm really stoked. :eusa_dance:
Think if you had a racing slick on the back (lot of flat spot there) and you leaned the bike into the corner on the return road- not the same as if it were a radial tread.
This is the reason you see pro stockers get completely off the seat to make that return road turn. It just does mot want to turn with a wide slick on the back.It does affect the handling as does the tire pressure.

I just got home. New 1/4 mile record for my V-Max! 11.69 @ 186.5 km/h.

I lowered the air pressure in the rear tire and strapped the front forks down. I was getting beat by EVERYONE, and getting discouraged. But I had to remember I was only there for the experience and fun.

Here's the funniest part. I WON FIRST PLACE IN MY CLASS (900cc+ Old Top). But I was literally the ONLY one in my class. I got a trophy and everything. The worst part was on my final run (alone, with a big crowd watching), I did a massive burnout in second gear. But I forgot to shift back to first!!! So I launched in second. That sucked and was embarrassing. But even with that blunder, I ran 12.3.

Pictures and videos will be posted later.

Latest posts

Back