Shopping for first 1st gen!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackcloud

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Just signed up to the forum. I've got the bike itch again and I think my sportbike days are over- so I'm highly considering a VMax. Just for information's sake- the other bikes I'm considering: Superhawk, Blackbird, Interceptor.
My concern in my wrists and my passenger comfort. That's where the VMax comes in. It is not a normal "cruiser" so it still appeals to me (much more so than the Warrior).
My main uses would be weekend fun, taking the wife out, and come occasional (weather permitting) commutes to work.
I seem to really like the flat black 03 and 04. I like the 06 and 07- but I'm not sure I'm in love with the flames on the tank.
I also like the 99-02 carbon bikes- but the pictures of those seem to vary from flat black to glossy grey- almost silver. Leads me to believe there are 2 different carbon colors.
Anyway- sorry for being wordy! That's my story in a nutshell!

Yes, there is a dark carbon fiber and light carbon fiber version of body work.
Good luck on your search.
I've got a '06 with lots of mods if you interested. Its in the for sale section. I'm the whole way across the country though.

That makes sense then- I found that the fuel tank cover was a -10 part number in 01 and 02 which tells me something changed- looks like the color.
Anyone know if the 99-00 carbon is glossy or flat?

Mike- I'll check out your 06- but like you said- long trip. Probably expensive shipping. Though the guy that bought my Ducati was in Colorado.

I missed an 04 here with about 23k on it for 4195 about 10 days ago. Theres a carbon 00 in OR with 6200 miles but it's listed at 6950- seems a bit high to me. Granted it has low miles.
Also a carbon 99 with 12k on it for 5000- something doesn't seem right with that one though....not sure what it is....

IMO 05 06 07 are probably your best bet's on getting a good Max and since it seems your coming from a sport bike back ground i would suggest trying to catch one with radials which means the rims have been changed, Carrazzo wheels (i'm sure i butchered the spelling on that) seem to be the premium way to achieve the radial conversion, all years are about the same power wise, and i'm not sure i would get hung up too much on the colors if you find a good deal take it, it's easy to change your tins it's only a faux tank and two small fenders and pretty easy to get ahold of a good set used like i said look for radials, brake mods, maybe a comfy seat and you'll be happy

Also take a look at the zx14 i have an 06 and it is very comfy also check out the b-king,fz1,z1000 you can find some sweet deals on the these bikes if you shop around personally i love my gen 1 but radials are the best mod for these bikes and till you start adding up the mods you will have in a gen 1. Morley may still have his personal bike for sale very nice gen 1 , good luck in you search and welcome to the site.

Welcome to our addiction , with benefits. I say that 'cause you can shop around for an older Vmax with some worthwhile mods for not a lot of money and you can have $ left over for a Blackbird. :punk:

Attachments

• VMax '90 & BB '02   5.jpg
    VMax '90 & BB '02 5.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 23
If she only ride a few time's a year than i would go with a nice clean gen 1 vmax that has a oem sissy bar. OEM sissy bar is comfy enough for a few nice trip's a year. IMO it's more about a nice clean fresh low mile bike than anything else. If you can find a clean one with the right mod's that don't hit you in the wallet even better but take your time and find a clean bike trust me its most important. If you want help on what to look for in a clean bike pm me and we can talk...........vmax-mike.

Remember if she like's to ride a'lot make sure she is comfy for long distance and have more fun than any other. The old style voyager is not the best looking but it is very comfy for the price and it's in line 4 so it has some power. the venture is nice also but hard to find a nice clean fresh one with low mile's for the right price but you might find one.

Hi guys!
Just signed up to the forum. I've got the bike itch again and I think my sportbike days are over- so I'm highly considering a VMax. Just for information's sake- the other bikes I'm considering: Superhawk, Blackbird, Interceptor.
My concern in my wrists and my passenger comfort. That's where the VMax comes in. It is not a normal "cruiser" so it still appeals to me (much more so than the Warrior).
My main uses would be weekend fun, taking the wife out, and come occasional (weather permitting) commutes to work.
I seem to really like the flat black 03 and 04. I like the 06 and 07- but I'm not sure I'm in love with the flames on the tank.
I also like the 99-02 carbon bikes- but the pictures of those seem to vary from flat black to glossy grey- almost silver. Leads me to believe there are 2 different carbon colors.
Anyway- sorry for being wordy! That's my story in a nutshell!

Welcome to the forum! :cheers: Since all Gen 1 parts fit every Gen 1 year, you can buy any Gen 1 year and get the color you want after.

A zx14 or concours 14 is probably your best bet if you want power, comfort, reliability and no maintenance.

A Gen 1 isn't very comfortable even if you replace the seat. It's the suspension, egos, and old technology. For quick around town bopping it's a great bike. But long distance it's rather uninviting. I ve done long distance on a few of my Vmax's and after I got my zx14, I don't know if I could ever do another long distance trip on a vmax again....

99 is a flat carbon, 01 is the glossy.

What seems odd ?

The matte carbon looked weird. But if it's an overlay I guess that explains that. Other odd thing was his history report showed a Virago 750- which oddly enough didn't even exist in 1999. Not to be picky- but a C5 Corvette and a modded Z car (and the VMax) just don't add up with the look of the house. Sounds biased I know. Makes me feel like that bike was really hot rodded though- even though it's stock.

WOW , 1500 miles in 8 years ? I would ask a lot of questions on that one. :ummm:
Just spoke to him- he's had it for 3 years. Bought it from the local Yamaha dealer with 125 miles on it.
Never down or anything just never ridden.
He mentioned that there was a recall/tech bulletin about head torque on those?? Never remember seeing that. Apparently it was weeping a little oil when he first bought it and it was covered under warranty.

Latest posts

Back