starter problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyost

Reaction score
Help !!!!! Need help trying to understand why my starter spins. But does not engage the flywheel. 2005 VMax low miles. New battery. Is this a common problem. Do i need a new starter. Or can the bendix be rebuild ( if thats the problem). A week ago it started right up. I've got a battery charger hooked up. PLEASE any idea's would be appreciated:flagwaver:

If it just spins or sounds like a box of rocks, you're starter clutch is fried. Get in touch with Sean Morley (One2dmax). He's got all the parts you'll need as well as a video on his youtube channel showing how to get the flywheel off.

Oh, and welcome. Stick around, read a bunch of stuff, and we'll get you all fixed up.

Come on guys!!! Help me out with your thoughts about how to fix my starting problems. Maybe I'm just missing a safety feature. The starter spins , just doesn't engage the flywheel. So maybe the safety switches are not the problem. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this happening? I'm at a loss. Running out of idea's. THOUGHTS!!!!!!

See post above- Starter clutch probably toast, but a relatively easy fix. Contact Sean Morley, he will have everything you need to fix it, and as stated above, check out his you tube video on exactly how its done. Easy peasy :biglaugh:

Was really hoping against hope, that it was going to be an easier fix. Like I was just over looking something. I guess I'll be taking off the starter this week. Now if I could just find it. LOL THANK ALL WHO HELPED OUT .......

Ok, it's behind the left front engine cover with the triangled circle on it. Take the little big-slot bolt out with a nickel or a quarter, then remove the side cover. You'll need a good puller and some long grade 8 bolts to get the flywheel off.

I can't tell if you were actually yelling at us with all the caps and frustration, but we're here to help. This forum has the nicest, most helpful, and knowledgeable people about the Vmax. Nobody will steer you wrong.

And you're looking for the starter clutch. The starter seems to be working based on your description.

Ok, it's behind the left front engine cover with the triangled circle on it. Take the little big-slot bolt out with a nickel or a quarter, then remove the side cover. You'll need a good puller and some long grade 8 bolts to get the flywheel off.

I can't tell if you were actually yelling at us with all the caps and frustration, but we're here to help. This forum has the nicest, most helpful, and knowledgeable people about the Vmax. Nobody will steer you wrong.

And you're looking for the starter clutch. The starter seems to be working based on your description.
Dave is right about the nicest, most helpful and knowledgeable people on here- I know I'm one of 'em.:rofl_200:

No yelling, was just trying to emphasize the Thanks for the help. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Now to get busy fixing. Maybe after an other beer. lol

Well if you are in Troy Ny you could just run it over to Pcw in Schenectady he will have you fixed in no time

Best bet is PCW, if you aren't familiar with doing this kind of stuff. If you've got tools and know how, it is easy. You can also hurt yourself if you don't. No shame in it either. I can't play the piano for shit! Too many keys, not enough fk'n fingers.

Latest posts

Back