I think something is bad wrong :/

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have few valve cover bolts lose to, When go to tighten the valve cover bolts don't over do it - you can break them off.

Haha now I'm worried I'll over tighten them xD as for the gaskets that are on there, they are beyond done, I can see huge cracks everywhere throughout them - so I don't think tightening them down more would fix em haha

Thanks for the tip though! should I just get them hand tight with the hex wrench?

I don't know if this is what you want to hear I have been reading your posts here and I haven't seen anyone else say this, maybe they have and I just didn't see it, But here it goes, What is your goal ? Do you just want to have a bike to ride? or do you want a V-Max to ride? If you just want a bike to ride part that V-Max you have out and buy a good used less exspensive I.E mass produced bike and older maxim or shadow something made in high numbers with a proven reliability record. If you really want a V-Max I'm thinking your going to end up putting a lot of money in the one you have to get it up to snuff IMO, I admire you for trying to get the bike you have up and running and believe me I'm no expert just seems you may be chasing an unrealistic goal, Good Luck

Scuff does have point there. I went through a nasty divorce & then my company upgrade its power plants from coal to natural gas ( combine cycles units ). Less man power to operate, so I had to change careers within the company. My max was still new to me & I want to mod it badly. I knew that I had to wait to get back on my feet. It took me 10 years. Me & the mod monkey went full force. I definitely understand what your going through.

Scuff does have point there. I went through a nasty divorce & then my company upgrade its power plants from coal to natural gas ( combine cycles units ). Less man power to operate, so I had to change careers within the company. My max was still new to me & I want to mod it badly. I knew that I had to wait to get back on my feet. It took me 10 years. Me & the mod monkey went full force. I definitely understand what your going through.

Yea I have gotten a bit carried away with the bike, but I have to admit that I really do like it and want to strive to make it as good as I can.

My budget from the beginning has been 4k total, after everything, since that's what I could part out the mods and parts for on it. Now, granted, I only have 2800 in it so far and 2k went to the bike and 800 to parts/tools already, but I think I can make this a very nice bike before summer time (doing all the work myself) and I hope to accomplish this goal.

With that said, I have not yet earned the rest of my budget, but I just got a new job at a local Cycle Gear by my college and will be putting a bit of each paycheck towards the bike and another bit towards saving for a summer trip to California on the bike.

I think I will get this kit and hopefully tear down and rebuild most of the "easier" portions myself with a bit of help and/or advice from people on here

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Gasket-Rebuild-Kit-1985-2007/dp/B0085NU9PK

Not quite sure of the quality of the Vesrah kit. I've always used Yamaha parts for most of the gaskets (Cometic for head gaskets).

Sean

I would compare the boats.net to www.ronayers.com to & make sure you check both of there shipping rates to ron ayers has been a bit cheaper on quite a few things I bought lately

http://www.ronayers.com/Athena-Top-End-Gasket-Kit-P174604C191.aspx

That's all I can find in the way of gaskets on there besides the more expensive kit that includes bottom end gaskets as well. When I saw they're offering free shipping over $89 I got excited too!

Lol do you guys think I should get the full kit instead of 2 Valve cover gaskets and 2 head gaskets off Boat.com for 85ish?

http://www.ronayers.com/Athena-Top-End-Gasket-Kit-P174604C191.aspx

That's all I can find in the way of gaskets on there besides the more expensive kit that includes bottom end gaskets as well. When I saw they're offering free shipping over $89 I got excited too!

Lol do you guys think I should get the full kit instead of 2 Valve cover gaskets and 2 head gaskets off Boat.com for 85ish?

There site is a little funny they have a full oem parts fich. I will go look for you

Well Ron Ayers was only about 40 cents cheaper on this after shipping so not much difference

Haha thanks, I appreciate you looking! I suppsose I'll just order the valve covers for now and if I do need a head gasket I'll get a couple of them seperately.

Hopefully I get the gasket stuff worked out before Sean's carbs come in or that'll double the time it's going to take :rofl_200:

Haha thanks, I appreciate you looking! I suppsose I'll just order the valve covers for now and if I do need a head gasket I'll get a couple of them seperately.

Hopefully I get the gasket stuff worked out before Sean's carbs come in or that'll double the time it's going to take :rofl_200:

The gaskets are not that bad to change so you should be good

The gaskets are not that bad to change so you should be good

Awesome :D So is that stuff from Boats.net really oem? Those prices are really impressive.

Just called Sean really quickly as well, turns out it's unlikely that I have a bad head gasket but I should change my oil a few times more and see if it clears up :clapping:

Awesome :D So is that stuff from Boats.net really oem? Those prices are really impressive.

Just called Sean really quickly as well, turns out it's unlikely that I have a bad head gasket but I should change my oil a few times more and see if it clears up :clapping:
Yep it and Ron Ayers are OEM. I constantly check back & forth between the 2 when I was looking for fuel lines the other day Ron Ayers was 3-4 bucks cheaper it just depends on what part your looking for.

Latest posts

Back