Rear wheel issue?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamLentz

Reaction score
I just started noticing a noise from my rear wheel when I'm riding, and I hear when I have the bike off and push it. It sounds like a few small clicks, and only on 20% - 30% of the wheel rotation. I can't tell if there's any performance issues. I've taken my brake pads out, in search for a warped rotor, with no such luck. Last July, I had the local motorcycle dealer (Honda) put a new tire on the rear rim, which is an OEM rim cut, stretched and welded to a 17" to fit radials, which now wears a Metzler Z8 Roadtec Interact. Because they had to rip apart a bunch of the rear axle & hub, they charged me a ton, so I don't really want to bring it back to them. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

I've heard others complain of a clicking rear wheel. There us an old service bulletin floating around about how to line up you differential after its removed. Sometimes that helps.

Maybe the shop removed the diff to install the wider wheel.

Loosen the axle nut, loosen the axle pinch bolt, and loosen the 4 bolts securing the differential to the swingarm. Just slightly snug the axle nut. Torque the differential bolts. Torque the axle nut and then finally the pinch bolt.

It should only take a few mins to do this

If no improvement I would be removing the wheels and checking the bearings, distance collar and all spacers.

I'll have to give that a shot. I didn't have the work to the wheel done, that was the PO. I just had them install the new tire on the rim. Like I said, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Thanks!

Stock swing arm? Do as Mike posted and also check the torque on the axle bolt. I find the factory recommended (90 ft lbs?) to high. I think you'll find the clicking coming from the final drive although it's tough to pin point it. There's an old venture bulletin about this issue. Search the forum it's there somewhere.

Dale

Stock swing arm? Do as Mike posted and also check the torque on the axle bolt. I find the factory recommended (90 ft lbs?) to high. I think you'll find the clicking coming from the final drive although it's tough to pin point it. There's an old venture bulletin about this issue. Search the forum it's there somewhere.

Dale

Search the forum for the correct torque , as I remember it actually being about 40-45 ft. lb. Factory manual was wrong.

Good bet the Dealer looked in the manual and torqued the axle to 90 ft. lbs, generating heat and wear. 30 ft. lbs for mine.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll give both of those a shot later today and report back.

Thanks again!

OK, so I tried what you said to do, Mike, and when I had it all lose, I pushed the bike around the driveway and didn't hear anything, and as I tightened everything up, it was still absent. I then went for a short ride, and it was back. I think the step is completely removing the wheel, correct?

Not sure if this will help?

Attachments

• Creaking Swingarm Service bullitin.pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 12
My 85 sounds like a BB is bouncing around in there somewhere, and has been doing it for years.. I replaced all the bearings, noise still is there.. Damned if I can figure it out..

Latest posts

Back