Re-clearing the clear coat on scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
The clear coat on my vmax scoops are spider webbing, and I wanted to ask the advice of the veterans.

I'm thinking of stripping the clear coat using aircraft stripper. My only concern here is if it will discolor the scoops. If so, will a simple buffing restore the color, or am I looking at having to wet sand. The scoops are not polished, and I prefer the matte look.

The second question that I have is what to clear it with. I was originally thinking of a 2 part epoxy, thinned out and sprayed on. The problem to this is no UV protection and will in turn yellow. One option I was given was a urethane based clear coat, that is two part. Bonus, it comes in an aerosol can; break activator already in can.

What I am looking for is a matte clear coat, that is durable, will adhere, and possibly have UV resistance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Strip, & buff the scoops with a grit that gives a satin finish. Around 400 to start. Then check Eastwood for their two part clear spray on. They may have semi gloss. You could have them powder coated semi gloss too.

I used an aircraft stripper, I cant find the product number right now. I started with 400 grit and ended up with a 600, wet sanded in the kitchen sink. Had I wanted to spend more time with it I could have gone to a 1000 but I'm cool with the appearance of raw aluminum.

Care should be taken while sanding aluminum as the sanding will leave a signature. I started out in circular motions but ended up sanding with the lines. It's not perfect but thats part of the charm of raw aluminum. I will probably spend more time next time I do a set but mine came out to my satisfaction. I considered polishing them but I'm not a fan of chrome or high gloss non painted surfaces. Chrome/gloss is like profanity in that the less you use the more impact it has.

I used a 2 part glossy clear coat (Spraymax 2k 368-0061) which I believe is very similar to the Eastwood. It's been on the bike for several months and is holding up very well. I tried a clearcoat before that was not a 2 part and it sucked.

I got a pic of before and after the clearcoat was applied, I have to say it looks much better in person, the gloss is nice and consistent. You can see in the pics why sanding method would be important.

Attachments

• DSCN1158.jpg
    DSCN1158.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN1169.jpg
    DSCN1169.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN2068.jpg
    DSCN2068.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
IMO I wouldn't start with 400 grit, but I like a more shiny appearance I did mine starting with 600 and went to 1500 wet then buffed with white compound and a wheel on my bench grinder also didn't clear mine I use mothers every few weeks or buff again with the wheel on my drill, air craft stripper works good as stated before, I realize it's all personal taste but I really think 400 would be too agressive

Back