Project Certain Death

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started tearing into the Max yesterday and I'm friggin' pissed. I knew it had some little issues plus some damage from the wreck, but what I'm pissed about is all the PO bull$hit. Stripped threads, cross-threaded bolts, loose bolts, scotch locks... F%&$ING SCOTCH LOCKS!!! The PO was a moron with no right to wrench.:bang head: Oh well I guess, just more to fix. On the bright side, got some pics I'll post tonight or tomorrow... Oooo, pretty pictures... :drool:

Yup.... I know your pain. I fought the PO battle for months.....

You need an XS11 in your garage to compliment the 650 and the 1200!

I completely agree. I've actually been looking at a few, but I think I'm going to buy a newer sport bike before anymore old cruisers. My friend has a ZX7R I'm trying to trade him out of... the negotiations aren't going well. That and I got a Vmax to rebuild!:punk:

Finally a few pics for you guys... This is why you don't put Hindle pipes on a 2" lowered bike. :notworki:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 65
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 54
I'm also not a fan of this carbon fiber muffler... Looks cool, but doesn't hold up well.:rip:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 59
Pulled the plugs... left cylinders, way too lean... right cylinders, way too rich... even not tuned worth a damn with two crushed pipes, it still ran like a raped ape.:ummm: You can see some blueing near the head of the pipes, too lean/hot. I found a new centerpiece for my toolbox though.:eek:h yeah:

Attachments

• 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 007 (3).jpg
    007 (3).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 042 (2).jpg
    042 (2).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 045 (2).jpg
    045 (2).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 046 (2).jpg
    046 (2).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 89
Vendetta,

I am happy to see someone else going this far. I have an 88', I rode it 40 miles... yes 40 miles then stripped it! You see , I always wanted one. So I bought an earlier one , it took me almost 15 years to find her .now 4 years later........ it is almost rideable.. I have gone a bit excessive. Totally gone through.... Wallet much thinner , bike on hold the last plus year because I built a house... Perhaps this winter I will get more of it done...

Scooter

vendetta how are u doing with this? haven't seen y ain a while?

Actually the project isn't going well. I had to have gall bladder surgery last month. So, between the medical bills from the wreck and from that I haven't had any extra cash for the bike. Plus, I haven't had the time, I've been working as much overtime as I can, but of course that money is paying hospitals. But, I'm not worried, I'll get all that paid off, then put the max back together again. I absolutely have to, the owner of the local HD shop has a nitrous'd v-rod that he thinks will beat me... I don't think so.:nyah nyah:

Wow, how sad is this, the max is still just a bare frame. I really need to prioritize. Should get my bonus in a few months, maybe something will happen then.:confused2:

Five years and still just a dream... I still have the bike, it's still just a bare frame and boxes of parts, refuse to put it together any other way but how I want it. A lot has changed I the past four years; got laid off, that didn't help the project's prospects. I also at the time just didn't have the desire to ride, which didn't help my motivation to rebuild the Max. By this time I was really into four-wheelers and had bought a Scrambler 400 and a Honda 250r, both ran but were projects. I also picked up a '64 Chevy c-10 project because it was such a smoking deal. Then in fall of '12 the desire to ride hit me again really hard, but my 650s didn't seem to get the job done. I still don't know why but I bought a new Sportster 72, it's. Nice commuter bike, but it's no Vmax. I still love my Vmax more. Anyway, ended up getting married, having a kid and moving to Michigan. The four-wheelers are leaving and so are some other things, but I refuse to let the Vmax go. I told the wife I'll sell everything but my Vmax and my '64 c-10. Maybe I'll get this done yet. We'll see...

I love those 64-66 C-10's, best body style ever I think. Had a 66 short step small window in high school and dream of having one again someday.

What state is your in, runner?

Five years and still just a dream... I still have the bike, it's still just a bare frame and boxes of parts, refuse to put it together any other way but how I want it. A lot has changed I the past four years; got laid off, that didn't help the project's prospects. I also at the time just didn't have the desire to ride, which didn't help my motivation to rebuild the Max. By this time I was really into four-wheelers and had bought a Scrambler 400 and a Honda 250r, both ran but were projects. I also picked up a '64 Chevy c-10 project because it was such a smoking deal. Then in fall of '12 the desire to ride hit me again really hard, but my 650s didn't seem to get the job done. I still don't know why but I bought a new Sportster 72, it's. Nice commuter bike, but it's no Vmax. I still love my Vmax more. Anyway, ended up getting married, having a kid and moving to Michigan. The four-wheelers are leaving and so are some other things, but I refuse to let the Vmax go. I told the wife I'll sell everything but my Vmax and my '64 c-10. Maybe I'll get this done yet. We'll see...

Where in MI did you move too? Maybe your unfinished project can hang out with mine...I have quite a few :biglaugh: ...(or:bang head: ?)

Latest posts

Back