M109R2 Headlight Assembly Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I am going to go that route. I'll pop for the VRod headlight if I don't use the M109R2 headlight.

I don't think I am going to go that route. I'll pop for the VRod headlight if I don't use the M109R2 headlight.
I like the 109's light but the vrod light has been thought out and looks good as well. Sean has a MT light mod that looks good as well although I think the light is a little more pricey than the vrod.

Well, I have all winter to play with the M109R2 headlight, so I am not going to give up on it this quickly. I agree that the VRod light looks great and is probably far easier, but I have the parts already for the M109R2 setup, so I am going to give it a fair shake before I bail on the project. :)

Well, I decided to get going on the Headlight conversion. I got this M109R2 headlight assembly for $110 shipped:

20141109_121044_zpsird2g3jp.jpg

I removed the stock headlamp...

20141109_121800_zpsyphom1um.jpg

...and bungee corded the new assembly into place.

20141109_122422_zpsmwg0sarm.jpg

20141109_122300_zpsi49maedc.jpg

I'm torn - it will provide MUCH better lighting, but I'm thinking it's pretty big - overpowering. It looks as if fabricating mounts shoud be pretty easy. I think I can get it to sit back a bit further when I cut apart the Suzuki Bracket. It also gives me the option of mounting turn signals near the bottom of the headlight assembly. You can see where the brackets are right now.

Sorry but when you said it was Big and overpowering then looking at your bike the first thing that came to my mind was a name... :rofl_200: "Mike" from Monsters Inc. sorry :worthy:. However honestly I was thinking you were onto something there and I truly like it. You do have a point there, it is on the verge of being too big. You do have to erase the looks of the original in your mind. Then think if you walked into a showroom would you buy the bike the way it looks? Just my two cents.

G

thats a very bad place to work on your bike. Not even talking about the fact that the soil may colapse under weight on sidestand but if you drop a screw you are screwed to find it...

Sorry but when you said it was Big and overpowering then looking at your bike the first thing that came to my mind was a name... However honestly I was thinking you were onto something there and I truly like it. You do have a point there, it is on the verge of being too big. You do have to erase the looks of the original in your mind. Then think if you walked into a showroom would you buy the bike the way it looks? Just my two cents.
Although the subject of "Looks" is purely subjective, I'd have to disagree completely with the above opinion.
I've always thought that one of the original design aspects of the Gen1 Max - the headlight assembly - was way off the mark. It's too small, too "punched in" ! Consider the side view of the OEM design - this is a big, in- your-face '80's muscle bike, with those huge air intakes(scoops). Then you see that little 5 3/4" recessed headlight - it just doesn't blend with the concept of the rest of the bike! Even going with a 7" round headlight is a huge improvement in looks. Again this is just my opinion.
That being said, I think the M109 assembly WILL LOOK FANTASTIC, especially if it is combined with an integrated fly screen. It will bulk up the front of the bike, matching the overall design, so much better than the original setup.
Of course another big improvement will be better light output. The stock headlight sucks big time! And that running light - you may find that this is all that is needed during daylight operation, thereby saving a huge draw on the charging system. Combined with a set of 20-35 watt aux. lights, you would have much better visibility from the front. A triangle of lights, regardless of intensity, has been proven to be more eye-catching than a single headlight, to approaching traffic.
Mr. Pete - do us a favor. Post side view photos of the stock setup, and the mock up with the m109 headlight. I'm bettin' most folks will like the latter most.:punk:
Cheers!

I still want to use a vtx headlight, but that's a long way off. I wanna see the 109 light work. I'm rooting for Pete!

I agree totally on this project, first off it completely sends the message of bruteness, then again you can use an led projector bulb as a daytime running light, I use two on my gl1500 Goldwings instead of the main lights in the daylight hours, they look just like headlights straight on.
And also is the subject of the main light, just recently the newest led h4 lamps are out and are now approaching hid light output levels. Yet they draw something from 18 watts on up. Basic hid is 35 watt, newer hid is 55 watt, overkill for normal daylight use, nice for long night rides.

Here is a suggestion, try getting some thin abs sheets, it's easy to cut compared to plexiglass or lexan, if you use a polypropylene sealer or epoxy you can then use regular paint over it, but don't just paint on raw abs, it melts, I just painted my 93 Goldwing, plus I did this radio mod. I used abs, bu t I covered it with 4d blue carbon fiber wrap.

Attachments

• 20141123_173857.jpg
    20141123_173857.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 25
thats a very bad place to work on your bike. Not even talking about the fact that the soil may colapse under weight on sidestand but if you drop a screw you are screwed to find it...
It's actually modified 3A stone that grass is growing over. However, I pull it into the garage as a rule to work on it. Thank you for the concern!

Sorry but when you said it was Big and overpowering then looking at your bike the first thing that came to my mind was a name... However honestly I was thinking you were onto something there and I truly like it. You do have a point there, it is on the verge of being too big. You do have to erase the looks of the original in your mind. Then think if you walked into a showroom would you buy the bike the way it looks? Just my two cents.
I've been thinking about it and I definitely am not giving up on it.
Although the subject of "Looks" is purely subjective, I'd have to disagree completely with the above opinion.
I've always thought that one of the original design aspects of the Gen1 Max - the headlight assembly - was way off the mark. It's too small, too "punched in" ! Consider the side view of the OEM design - this is a big, in- your-face '80's muscle bike, with those huge air intakes(scoops). Then you see that little 5 3/4" recessed headlight - it just doesn't blend with the concept of the rest of the bike! Even going with a 7" round headlight is a huge improvement in looks. Again this is just my opinion.
That being said, I think the M109 assembly WILL LOOK FANTASTIC, especially if it is combined with an integrated fly screen. It will bulk up the front of the bike, matching the overall design, so much better than the original setup.
Of course another big improvement will be better light output. The stock headlight sucks big time! And that running light - you may find that this is all that is needed during daylight operation, thereby saving a huge draw on the charging system. Combined with a set of 20-35 watt aux. lights, you would have much better visibility from the front. A triangle of lights, regardless of intensity, has been proven to be more eye-catching than a single headlight, to approaching traffic.
Mr. Pete - do us a favor. Post side view photos of the stock setup, and the mock up with the m109 headlight. I'm bettin' most folks will like the latter most.:punk:
Cheers!
I've been thinking about it and I definitely am not giving up on it.

I will definitely post up more photos. Just got back from a family Thanksgiving in MA. Maybe tomorrow.

I still want to use a vtx headlight, but that's a long way off. I wanna see the 109 light work. I'm rooting for Pete!
Thank you!

I agree totally on this project, first off it completely sends the message of bruteness, then again you can use an led projector bulb as a daytime running light, I use two on my gl1500 Goldwings instead of the main lights in the daylight hours, they look just like headlights straight on.
And also is the subject of the main light, just recently the newest led h4 lamps are out and are now approaching hid light output levels. Yet they draw something from 18 watts on up. Basic hid is 35 watt, newer hid is 55 watt, overkill for normal daylight use, nice for long night rides.

Here is a suggestion, try getting some thin abs sheets, it's easy to cut compared to plexiglass or lexan, if you use a polypropylene sealer or epoxy you can then use regular paint over it, but don't just paint on raw abs, it melts, I just painted my 93 Goldwing, plus I did this radio mod. I used abs, bu t I covered it with 4d blue carbon fiber wrap.
Do you have a source for the ABS sheets? I cannot find any locally.

Thanks everyone for your input and opinions!

go visit a local sign shop, I think they have abs sheet goods, all you need is scrap, really.

Thank you, I know where there is a sign shop in Lancaster. I'll try to get by there during the week.

I am also reconsidering using the cowl. I think if I reduce the depth of the cowl it may be OK. Worst case scenario is that I don't like it and I just use the headlamp assembly with the ABS or whatever I choose to use.

I am in Alaska, but I can get abs sheets at a local plastic shop. If nothing else do what I do, I search for items at Walmart like expanded metal paper organizers, I then cut out the mesh for custom grill work, or you can get one of those abs plastic storage tubs, they are cheap, and cut what you need. Walmart has all sorts of cheap plastic trays, plates and storage stuff, just get some sturdy scissors or small tin snips.

This is why I went with the Vrod headlight, no fuss no muss. It fits in there perfectly with no fabing, just have to get two fork brackets.

I too went with the vrod headlight. Loved it. Until the internal metal reflector cup broke off its mount, and jingles around inside the housing :(

Harley (here in Aust) would not warranty it. Happened after about 11 months.

Tried repairing it - JB Weld held it for 4 rides...

So, I've chucked a wobbly and am looking for another, better built, headlight conversion...

I too went with the vrod headlight. Loved it. Until the internal metal reflector cup broke off its mount, and jingles around inside the housing :(

Harley (here in Aust) would not warranty it. Happened after about 11 months.

Tried repairing it - JB Weld held it for 4 rides...

So, I've chucked a wobbly and am looking for another, better built, headlight conversion...

I got mine through Drag Specialties, it's aftermarket, better built than the Harley ones

Last edited:
First rule with any Harley part, get plenty of red loctite.
And JB Weld.
A gas welder comes in handy too for the cast iron parts.

Latest posts

Back