LED turn signal help please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The mongrel

Reaction score
Hello chaps

Further to this thread

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=43505

I'v fitted similar (single colour) blinkers to the rear of my max.
the problem i'v got is all four blinkers are now flashing simultaneously, like hazard warning lights
If i re-fit the stock blinkers to either end of the bike then everything works as it should....one stock blinker is not enough. It has to be a pair.

This leads me to think its a voltage draw issue. Unfortunatly i only have three ballast resistors on hand (could've sworn i had more)
With the three resistors fitted i still get all four lights blinking at the same time though

I'v never had this before. Had them blinking too fast yes, but never all at once :ummm:

Any ideas guys?....i cant see one extra resistor curing it, but then what do i know lol

Thanks

The flasher circuit works with resistance. With two regular bulbs plus the one in the dash, you get enough resistance for normal (ish) flash. With all LED there's almost no resistance, so they all flash. You either need a diode in the dash. I had some weird stuff happening before I went to 4 resistors as well. I used the ones that came with my rizoma signals.

Search "fast flash" and diode, and you'll probably find your solution.

This can happen because it takes minimal voltage to illuminate the LEDs and minimal voltage can make its way across the "idiot light" filament that is mounted in the gauge pod.

Couple options.
1. Remove idiot light
2. Add more resistance to the circuit
3. Install diodes on the wires in the gauge cluster. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10877

You can do away with all resistors if you install diodes and swap the stock flasher relay for an electronic unit. Problem with this method is that you lose the self cancel function. Works for me though.

This can happen because it takes minimal voltage to illuminate the LEDs and minimal voltage can make its way across the "idiot light" filament that is mounted in the gauge pod.

Couple options.
1. Remove idiot light
2. Add more resistance to the circuit
3. Install diodes on the wires in the gauge cluster. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10877

You can do away with all resistors if you install diodes and swap the stock flasher relay for an electronic unit. Problem with this method is that you lose the self cancel function. Works for me though.

These are the best concise answers and links I've read here. I went down a long rabbit hole for a few hours once to find the above info. Consider for a sticky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff thank you fellas

I'v changed half a dozen bikes to led blinkers but only ever had increased flash rate. The four way flash really threw me.
Idiot lights are part of our annual MOT vehicle test here in the uk so that has to stay.

so what are these 'diodes' then?
I'v had a look on here and cant find any specs. Google just shows up two legged leds

Cheers

An electrical supply place would have them, I'd think. All they need to do for you is block current from flowing from one side of the bike to the other, if I remember correctly. Or pull the bulb from the dash and try that first.

Ok so searching around i'v seen the kuryakyn diode kit, cant seem to find a uk seller though
It doesnt look to anything really special

I'v seen wiring diagrams on here already so can i just make one up out of one of the diodes in a kit like this?
if so what rating should i be looking at?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Sets-...885574?hash=item43e079c546:g:6LAAAOSwgQ9VvQQX

Just solder a neg wire, two positives and heat shrink it?
I'm fine soldering and stuff its diagnosing faults and working specs i'm hopeless at lol

Thanks for the help so far lads....really appreciated

An electrical supply place would have them, I'd think. All they need to do for you is block current from flowing from one side of the bike to the other, if I remember correctly. Or pull the bulb from the dash and try that first.

Cross posted mate

I'll try pulling the bulb in the morning for sure. If that works then i'll go for the diode

btw, i didn't know the vmax had self canceling turn signals until i posted this question lol
Mind you, my xv1100 has it too but i always hit the button long before it kicks in

I have the Kury kit on hand and even a universal relay. The Kury kit keeps it from flashing like Hazards and the relay makes it blink at a relatively normal rate.

Ok so searching around i'v seen the kuryakyn diode kit, cant seem to find a uk seller though
It doesnt look to anything really special

I'v seen wiring diagrams on here already so can i just make one up out of one of the diodes in a kit like this?
if so what rating should i be looking at?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Sets-...885574?hash=item43e079c546:g:6LAAAOSwgQ9VvQQX

Just solder a neg wire, two positives and heat shrink it?
I'm fine soldering and stuff its diagnosing faults and working specs i'm hopeless at lol

Thanks for the help so far lads....really appreciated
That link is for LED bulbs. You want basic diodes. ://www.radioshack.com/products

Go to eBay UK and type in 1N4001. Plenty of options. See the link I posted above. There are some photos of how to install.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That link is for LED bulbs. You want basic diodes. ://www.radioshack.com/products

Go to eBay UK and type in 1N4001. Plenty of options. See the link I posted above. There are some photos of how to install.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Diodes come with the kit in that link i posted. But that part number is what i needed mate thanks.
Loads of em on ebay as you say, great stuff

I have the Kury kit on hand and even a universal relay. The Kury kit keeps it from flashing like Hazards and the relay makes it blink at a relatively normal rate.

Thank for the offer dude but with postage, import duty, and handling fees the £1 part would end up costing about £30

success! Thanks a lot fellas. Reoving the idiot light bulb worked a treat...although i did get super OCD about cancelling the signals when i took it for a ride lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2oQskvPmwY

Heres s very quick vid for ya, they actually look brighter in the flesh

Can you make a video outside in the sun? I want to see how bright those things are.

Sorry to hijack this thread.
But i'm wondering.. :ummm:
Why Yamaha not have go all in LED from the start? (except headlight)
This is so simple. Use a decidated LED flasher from a support company that produce them.
See attached pics. Just plug-and-play on existing wiring harness plug.

Are we talking aboyt FAA regulations? :confused2:
Or a powerful filament bulb lobby. :worthy:

i will instantly replace all "Edison Old school" filament bulbs witha "high tech" LED. :punk:
There are come a H4 LED from Philips. (see pic) :clapping:

umm something went wrong to upload pics. trying again. :)

Attachments

• LED relay1.jpg
    LED relay1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 13
  • LED relay2.jpg
    LED relay2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 14
  • LED relay3.jpg
    LED relay3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 15
  • V-max pære beskrivelse.jpg
    V-max pære beskrivelse.jpg