Just joined the club...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just found the Cobra notes in the book that came with the bike...

Talks about the install of the mufflers and the removal of the center stand...

Too bad, all for what? Less power and no center stand.... ::angry teeth::

Any way to recover performance with these pipes?

I also noticed there is a lot of carbon build up just inside the pipes... I don't know if that means it has been running rich....

Sell the pipes, if you don't want a centerstand, get a Kerker 4/1. Great sound & re jet for power, compared to what you have now, you could gain 25%!!!! Your midrange & top end will seem like a different bike!

Sell the pipes, if you don't want a centerstand, get a Kerker 4/1. Great sound & re jet for power, compared to what you have now, you could gain 25%!!!! Your midrange & top end will seem like a different bike!

I would guess that'll be a bit expensive.... Hard to justify...

If those Cobras cause such power loss I wonder how they sold so many....

Not at all hard to justify. People spend thousands of dollars to put an USD front fork on their bike that is better than they ever will be on it. It looks cool, the other VMax guy doesn't have one.

Buy a used Kerker 4/1, a jet kit from Sean, Dynojet Stage 7, Factory Pro, or read up on buying the jets & needles you need, tie-down your slide springs, drill the slides, and you can do it cheaply.

Plenty of people want looks over horsepower. Look how many Corvettes they sell. Owners want the look but never run it hard.

Your bike orobably would dyno at ~ 95 RWHP with your Cobras. Put a Kerker 4/1 & a well-tuned jetting change into it and you should hit 120 RWHP or possibly more, changing your bike's performance greatly. That is certainly "worth it," to most members here. If you do the work yourself, you should be under $1,000 by enough to afford a new Shinko rear tire, and maybe a front. I just bought 2 Shinko tires from Cycle Gear for about $160.

Kinda like harleys. Looks and sound over power. Plus, most people dont know that you will lose HP with them.

Yeah they look good sound fine to me it's just killing me that my 0 to 60 feels almost the same as my thirty-seven-year-old CB900. I was really looking forward to twisting the throttle and being quite a bit faster than my other bike and unless I'm losing my mind it just doesn't feel like that.

Yeah that's what I noticed... Without knowing exactly how it supposed to perform, it felt like it was weak until it started to rev up....

Any chance some tuning might help? Returning to a stock exhaust would probably be too costly...

Maybe not the cheapest option but the Kerker 4-2-1 offers great performance from the basement on up, is highly musical and not to loud depending on can choice. I have the smaller outlet can but it will sure speak up with a happy carefree twist. I live where obnoxiously loud bikes are the norm, didnt really want to do that to my neighbors. It cant be called quiet thouh.

For O-60 anger, I found that the PO put a Dynajet stage 1 kit in, was way rich and sluggish. I ended up resetting float levels which are a tad rich from day one, swapping out some jets and I added the Morleys Muscle jet kit. Its fantastic now, it really kicks, especially when vboost does its thing. Im not sure how much of what your feeling is lack of back pressure or possible jetting/tuning maladjustments but this is what turned mine from being pretty quick to downright feisty.

Maybe not the cheapest option but the Kerker 4-2-1 offers great performance from the basement on up, is highly musical and not to loud depending on can choice. I have the smaller outlet can but it will sure speak up with a happy carefree twist. I live where obnoxiously loud bikes are the norm, didnt really want to do that to my neighbors. It cant be called quiet thouh.

For O-60 anger, I found that the PO put a Dynajet stage 1 kit in, was way rich and sluggish. I ended up resetting float levels which are a tad rich from day one, swapping out some jets and I added the Morleys Muscle jet kit. Its fantastic now, it really kicks, especially when vboost does its thing. Im not sure how much of what your feeling is lack of back pressure or possible jetting/tuning maladjustments but this is what turned mine from being pretty quick to downright feisty.

Well who knows I might do something, but I didn't think I'd need to....

100HP for a V-Max seems quite low, I remembered hearing numbers closer to 140...at one time... Were there some performance cuts done after the first model came out?

I think they were all about 145 at the crank, - a bit for shaft drive which has more of a power hit than chain drive but most of these gents that turn the right screws still get 120ish + to the ground. I know I will be corrected if I have this wrong, but all US spec were in that 145 range, there was a UK spec that was devoid of vboost and governed to 95hp. If you have vboost yours aint one of those.

Tweaking the carbs is pretty straight forward if your reasonably inclined. Ive had my carb rack off a number of times, I can do it in 10-15 minutes now so its not to bad, IF you even need to do it. I gained plenty by leaning it out and more still with Seans jet setup. I cant know why yours is not doing what it should but have read plenty about dynajet kits and carb missadjustments being a real hinderance, its not uncommon. There is a lot of good info in the carb/tuning section that goes into it, by guys that know more than I. That exhaust system is known to rob power too, so probably a factor. I have no direct experience with that exhaust, only what I've read here about a hit to HP and excessive noise.

I think they were all about 145 at the crank, - a bit for shaft drive which has more of a power hit than chain drive but most of these gents that turn the right screws still get 120ish + to the ground. I know I will be corrected if I have this wrong, but all US spec were in that 145 range, there was a UK spec that was devoid of vboost and governed to 95hp. If you have vboost yours aint one of those.

Tweaking the carbs is pretty straight forward if your reasonably inclined. Ive had my carb rack off a number of times, I can do it in 10-15 minutes now so its not to bad, IF you even need to do it. I gained plenty by leaning it out and more still with Seans jet setup. I cant know why yours is not doing what it should but have read plenty about dynajet kits and carb missadjustments being a real hinderance, its not uncommon. There is a lot of good info in the carb/tuning section that goes into it, by guys that know more than I. That exhaust system is known to rob power too, so probably a factor. I have no direct experience with that exhaust, only what I've read here about a hit to HP and excessive noise.

Well, at some point I guess I need to have a pro look at it....

I am probably being a little picky but after hearing about the power for all these years I guess I was expecting some kind of rapture....as I made the jump to lightspeed....

Well, at some point I guess I need to have a pro look at it....

I am probably being a little picky but after hearing about the power for all these years I guess I was expecting some kind of rapture....as I made the jump to lightspeed....

I empathize, I had exactly the same reaction after riding around for a day. I've wanted one of these since they came out, always basking in all the hype. Mine is now where I know it should be for the full Vmax e perience. These bikes are not bad to work on with the wisdom and guidance here. I was dreading it too, I got some great guidance here and it wasnt bad at all. One thing for sure, it was well worth the effort. I grin like a fucking idiot every time the tach sweeps past 6k rpm (vboost kick in). I literally did little more than swap some jets and adjust floats. I did ad Seans filter airbox lid later on and tbat was worth it too. Im stock other than exhaust and filter lid/muscle jet kit. Im done now, aside from keeping her maintained she now does what a Vmax should do. IMHO its well worth the effort.

It wont spank an R1 or ZX14 of today but it will definitely impress. Your HD buddies wont want any, thats for sure.

I rode a Cobra 4 into 4 recently and its midrange was very much weaker than a stock VMax.

Do tell...Was that mine?? :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Not that it means anything...for the riding i typically do, I really don't need the power. I might switch out the pipes one day for dual pipes (for the sound and looks, not performance), but that's so far down my priority list.

I had the same feeling.
I wanted 1 from the day they came out!
Finally got one and felt like something was off.
I've since did carb cleaning which helps and now know how and when to shift it.
You really don't need to wind this thing up. It has PLENTY of grunt to short shift.
I usually use 2nd gear on up. If I roll off from a light up to 4k'ish in 1st then wack it it will sometimes pull the front wheel when Vboost hits.
I noticed that if I give it full throttle from the start in 1st VBoost isn't noticeable to me going through the gears.
It does go like stink tho!:biglaugh:
Now keep in mind I'm 240lbs and that doesn't help matters and it still goes good!
My son's have ridden it and I asked my eldest if he got into the boost and he said no.
I said why not? He said "Dad, i was doing 75 in like 300' "
He's only 150lbs. I could only imagine what it would do <100lbs less on the vboost!
That said,
I will be sending my carbs to Danny over the winter and will have him lean it out some for me.
From what I've read, they are fat from the factory, even with the stock exhaust.
So I "may" do slip on's but that's as far as I'm going to go . If that.
I'm not going to try to make it a gen 2.
That's not fiscally responsible.

This bike is a lot of fun.....but I'm not going to go crazy with it.
I'm going to enjoy it for what it is.
I will someday get a 2nd gen tho!
That will really put a smile on my face!
Please don't get mad at me guys. I love this bike too.
I never said this bike is slow.
IT'S NOT!
It will smoke most bikes/anything from a stop.
That alone is worth it.

This and everywhere I go people talk to me about it.
All I hear is "that bike's a beast" :biglaugh:

Enjoy your bike! Ihas great wheels and other stuff.
Should be a lot of fun!

Do tell...Was that mine?? :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Not that it means anything...for the riding i typically do, I really don't need the power. I might switch out the pipes one day for dual pipes (for the sound and looks, not performance), but that's so far down my priority list.

The stock pipes look great on a nicely detailed stock Vmax, IMO.

I have to say, I think the Yamaha stylists hit a home run when they did the VMax. It's just such a complete package. Sure, you could have incremental improvements, like a gen-yoo-wine ram air system, and updating to wider tires of the 'radial' persuasion, during the bike's lifetime. Maybe doing some improvements to the chassis, like Triumph does, and even Yamaha does, you can get premium suspension components, just pony-up the $$$, or get onto the basic bike for less-$$ & still have the Max-imum experience, for minimum $.

About the same time Yamaha was designing/ building the VMax (ok, 2 years later), the company released the FZR1000 and the FZR750. The FZR1000 was the performance leader, and the FZR750 was the same chassis, but with upgraded components and a smaller engine, for Superbike competition. Ohlins suspension, a 6-speed gearbox, and a competition kit was available, it was the high-price spread, sold for more-than the FZR1000, and made in much-smaller numbers. I think the Deltabox aluminum frame was the first production literbike to sport a perimeter wide-beam aluminum frame made of aluminum castings and forgings, and stampings. Suzuki had the aluminum 'Slingshot' GSXR frame, earlier, but the frame members were spindly compared to the Deltabox Yamaha. I think there was a limited edition Kawasaki 600 Ninja aluminum frame before that, but again, narrow frame members.

I agree, those megaphones polished-up look very cool. Heavy, but cool. I've thought about why no-one ever tried to make a tapered cover for the megaphones that you could screw or rivet into-place to cover scrapes or dents. Seems like a cottage industry piece in the waiting. I don't know if chromed or some stainless alloy would be better, or even just raw steel, that the owner could use to finish the way they wanted, powdercoat, paint, or chrome.

The stock pipes look great on a nicely detailed stock Vmax, IMO.

Fire, When my wife bought her scout, she had the slip on's "brushed" at the dealer.
I think it cost her $75/100
That's another option if someone has some scratches on the stock pipes.

Yes, that sounds like an option. I was thinking about the people who unfortunately have the dents and scratches from more-serious damage, and how to avoid paying $1000 for a OEM new muffler/resonator ass'y.

I have too-many things going on to try to do something like this, but a wood lathe and some caliper measurements would give you a decent place to start. You could use a larger piece of metal, and then a plasma cutter to get the exact shape you needed. I expect that slipping it onto the megaphone down-lower, and then sliding it back towards the end of the flare would self-center it, and a few holes drilled, w/pop rivets or short sheet metal screws would make a go of it.

Fire, When my wife bought her scout, she had the slip on's "brushed" at the dealer.
I think it cost her $75/100
That's another option if someone has some scratches on the stock pipes.

Yes, that sounds like an option. I was thinking about the people who unfortunately have the dents and scratches from more-serious damage, and how to avoid paying $1000 for a OEM new muffler/resonator ass'y.

I have too-many things going on to try to do something like this, but a wood lathe and some caliper measurements would give you a decent place to start. You could use a larger piece of metal, and then a plasma cutter to get the exact shape you needed. I expect that slipping it onto the megaphone down-lower, and then sliding it back towards the end of the flare would self-center it, and a few holes drilled, w/pop rivets or short sheet metal screws would make a go of it.

Sounds good! Now get to it in your spare time! :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back