Hollow out helmet?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Acquired a half helmet some time ago. I like it because it is a half helmet, but the problem is that my head doesn't sit deep enough into the helmet.

Is it common place to hollow out a helmet?

The helmet innards are a styrofoam core, but mesh lines the core, with no sign that it can be removed.

Ideas?

ETA: Graphic depiction of me wearing the helmet:
Toad_3D_Land.png

With traffic the way it is here, if you don't value your life (and your head) then wear a half-helmet that you butchered. A half-helmet is better than no helmet, but one that's had the shock absorbent removed is wrong, just wrong.

I wouldn't wear anything but a full-face helmet, if you want some air and are trying for an open-face comfort factor, look at the modular helments. I suggest a Shark Evoline, very aerodynamic in the open position, and rated for wearing that way too.

No-way would I think about riding on the Palmetto Expressway, 876, 836, the Turnpike, I-95, the Sawgrass,or surface streets without a decent new or nearly-new rated helmet in good shape.

Try Competition Cycle Center on Old Griffin Rd in Dania Beach, between I-95 & US 1 for a great selection of helmets.

With traffic the way it is here, if you don't value your life (and your head) then wear a half-helmet that you butchered. A half-helmet is better than no helmet, but one that's had the shock absorbent removed is wrong, just wrong.

I wouldn't wear anything but a full-face helmet, if you want some air and are trying for an open-face comfort factor, look at the modular helments. I suggest a Shark Evoline, very aerodynamic in the open position, and rated for wearing that way too.

No-way would I think about riding on the Palmetto Expressway, 876, 836, the Turnpike, I-95, the Sawgrass,or surface streets without a decent new or nearly-new rated helmet in good shape.

Try Competition Cycle Center on Old Griffin Rd in Dania Beach, between I-95 & US 1 for a great selection of helmets.

BTDT
You need to come up here for a ride some time. Pretty laid back and scenic; up A1A.

Though of modular, heck any helmet for that matter, choices are limited when XL is the largest they have.
Note: Not all XL are the same.
Seems manufactures still think their market is 5'5 Asians.

Helmet company's don't want anyone to even paint a helmet. I've been riding a while and take safety gear seriously.That road is unforgiving and hard. A new full face helmet isn't a lot of $$ in the grand scheme of things. If a half suits you, I get it. But, buy a new one. A half helmet is better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back