Hello all

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My TFS is the Stock Yamaha Fan switch.
And according to You, your fan comes on before the 1/2 mark with your aftermarket TFS.
The 1/2 mark is the Normal operating temp for a Vmax.

So it would be on pretty much all the time you're riding.
Your right with what you said here if that's what I said but it's not. Running the stock fan switch is why you have to run a manual switch. the stock switch comes on at 221 to 230 way to hot & the stock thermostat is fully open at 206 which is just a little above the half way point. My gauge runs at the bottom of the screw & fan comes on at half way point fan only runs at prolong stops.
Mine never comes on while riding and when I get stuck in traffic I hit the manual switch and turn it on to keep the temps at the 1/2 mark.
Then just turn it off once I'm out of traffic again.
Read what I replied to the first quote in the middle here. Not the best on a computer. Now reread my original post.

Last edited:
IMHO an important distinction to make is the difference between a fully manual switch vs. switch on to override normal function. The later making a whole lot more sense but configuring the cooling sys to work properly on its own seems optimal. I want as little distraction as possible while I negotiate roadways littered with distracted drivers since I have to pay attn for myself AND them, the less rider input the bike requires the better.

IMHO an important distinction to make is the difference between a fully manual switch vs. switch on to override normal function. The later making a whole lot more sense but configuring the cooling sys to work properly on its own seems optimal. I want as little distraction as possible while I negotiate roadways littered with distracted drivers since I have to pay attn for myself AND them, the less rider input the bike requires the better.

I never have to look for or at the switch and I prefer manual.
Thank god he made us all different.:clapping:

I never have to look for or at the switch and I prefer manual.
Thank god he made us all different.:clapping:

No, my way is the only possible correct way! :rofl_200:

Actually I have yet to ride in 100 deg, weather, it saw 95 and did well but we'll see how it holds up later. I like manual everything but i would not notice it running hot until to late. I never look at the gauges once under way unless something does not feel right.

No, my way is the only possible correct way! :rofl_200:

Actually I have yet to ride in 100 deg, weather, it saw 95 and did well but we'll see how it holds up later. I like manual everything but i would not notice it running hot until to late. I never look at the gauges once under way unless something does not feel right.

Well if you looked once in while you would probably notice it was hot before it "too" late. You are hijacking this man's thread.

Well if you looked once in while you would probably notice it was hot before it "too" late. You are hijacking this man's thread.

The temp gauge is a big glance if your wearing a proper lid, probably not ideal depending on riding conditions. No hijack, cooling was being discussed. PM me if there is an issue.

Talk away guys! I enjoy seeing the different views among everyone!

I personally prefer my bike much cooler, it gets hot if I ride for more then 20 minutes, not in the red hot on the Guage but hot enough to make me worry and also make my legs pretty warm.

I should also mention that I live in a city and 70% of the time for my normal rides it's all stop and go traffic. When I go on longer rides out in the country it's fine.

For now, I bought a new sensor ( the vmax guy on ebay only sells one for the vmax and it was 195 f. I also purchased a new thermostat that starts to open at 160.

If I still have issues I'll put in a bigger radiator and a manual switch, but I think this should cover it.

All this and it's not even hot where I live! Lol normally in the 80s in the summer here, I feel for you all riding in 110 degree heat.. lol

Have you thought about flushing out the radiator in case there are some deposits?

That's all I was trying to help with, not trying to bash anybody.

Talk away guys! I enjoy seeing the different views among everyone!

I personally prefer my bike much cooler, it gets hot if I ride for more then 20 minutes, not in the red hot on the Guage but hot enough to make me worry and also make my legs pretty warm.

I should also mention that I live in a city and 70% of the time for my normal rides it's all stop and go traffic. When I go on longer rides out in the country it's fine.

For now, I bought a new sensor ( the vmax guy on ebay only sells one for the vmax and it was 195 f. I also purchased a new thermostat that starts to open at 160.

If I still have issues I'll put in a bigger radiator and a manual switch, but I think this should cover it.

All this and it's not even hot where I live! Lol normally in the 80s in the summer here, I feel for you all riding in 110 degree heat.. lol

If you find that you want the fan to come on sooner then 195 I have one that I tried first & it's to low for my 180 thermostat. Let me know.

I will keep that in mind! I think that with that thermostat it should improve tons.

Here is a link to the thermostat in case someone wants to see it.http://m.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VMX12-...T-160-DEGREE-MORE-HP-/271935542821?nav=SEARCH

Just something for you to think about. I was looking at that thermostat over the winter. The one thing that came to mine is the bike was running at 206 f. now it's going to run at 166 f. 40 degrees less. I was concerned about tolerances being too loose maybe not. Just some food for thought. :ummm:

Just something for you to think about. I was looking at that thermostat over the winter. The one thing that came to mine is the bike was running at 206 f. now it's going to run at 166 f. 40 degrees less. I was concerned about tolerances being too loose maybe not. Just some food for thought. :ummm:

I thought about that also, ( cool engine is just as bad ) but I figured in a few things.

The fan won't kick on until 195 f, and that 160 thermostat isn't fully open until 168 f, so with those things considered I'm guessing a average temp for cruizing to be 180 ish, and my stop and go traffic temp would be another 20 or 30 degrees at most.

180 is a good temp, cool enough to prevent over heating, yet not so cold that it causes the engine to run rich and build up carbon.

Anyone's opinions on this matter would be great.

Back