Taller handlebars for Max.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Finished my latest mod - http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=36255

Worked out well, but I won't know the effect of the vibration-reducing addition, till I actually ride the thing.
These latest bars stretch the limit as far as what's possible, with STOCK hydraulic and throttle lines. The CLUTCH hydro line seems to be the limiting factor. There is no room for adjustment, length-wise. The brake lines are more forgiving, especially if you have LOWERED the front suspension, and made a bracket to get rid of the resulting slack in the lower portion of the lines, below the manifold (this results in more slack above, allowing taller bars)
As far as actual rise, the newest bars have about 6". The previous bars, that I have used for the last 7 years, have a 4 1/2" rise. This amount of rise is completely doable, EVEN IF THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS NOT BEEN LOWERED.
I think the OEM bars have about 2 1/2" rise. I don't really know, because my stock bars made the SUPREME SACRIFICE in order to construct the latest set!

The result of higher bars? - A MORE COMFORTABLE RIDING POSITION.
This mod is not for drag racers, or knee-scraping canyon carvers. This is for folks that find a more upright riding position to be more comfortable, easier on the back and joints. If you are part of the forward controls and/or footrests, and windscreen crowd, you will certainly like taller handlebars.
Cheers!

Attachments

• bracket to raise manifold, after lowering suspension.jpg
    bracket to raise manifold, after lowering suspension.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 154
  • Height of newest bars (6 inch rise).jpg
    Height of newest bars (6 inch rise).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 166
  • four & a half, versus 6inch rise bars.jpg
    four & a half, versus 6inch rise bars.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 155
We are working on a similar setup for a guy here. Ordered +6" lines (could have done +5" I think) and same with speedo drive cable.

Update -
The thick rubber tubing did the trick, or at least contributed to it!
Absolutely no vibration at the mirrors, at any speed or rpm!:eusa_dance:
Of course the vibration dampening may be related to other factors - construction technique, materials used, length/thickness of materials, etc. I may have just "got lucky" with this project.
Bottom line.....might be worth a try, for anyone with open-ended handlebars and a vibration problem. Might serve as an alternative to buckshot or BB'S. Probably works similar to "Barsnake".
5/8"(16mm) heater hose was used. To make it fit within the handlebar tubing, it had to be cut lengthwise and a small section removed. Splitting the tubing may have also contributed to it's dampening effect, I'm not sure about this.
Very pleased as well with the height of the bars (6") More of a Venture-like riding position, together with the relocated driver pegs and forward footrests. My back is straight, with arms only slightly bent at the elbows. Should be no more problems with backaches and pinched nerves, during long rides.
If only the rest of my body wasn't deteriorating.......................:damn angry:
Cheers!

Back