Oil pressure tap?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Hey guys, I would like to check the oil pressure on my newly accquired Vmax.

Can someone point out where on the engine that I can tap to check oil pressure, so I can determine the condition of the oil tube o-ring.

Also, what is normal oil pressure hot, idling and with some higher rpms.

Thanks,
Wayne

Hey guys, I would like to check the oil pressure on my newly accquired Vmax.

Can someone point out where on the engine that I can tap to check oil pressure, so I can determine the condition of the oil tube o-ring.

Also, what is normal oil pressure hot, idling and with some higher rpms.

Thanks,
Wayne

Right here:
F557FAC7-033E-446D-9CE1-DBB10A70B5F3_zpsbsiynyiu.jpg

Man, i just took this system off and I was trying to remember the pressures I was getting.... Seems like when you just start it up cold the pressure jumps up to around 40-60psi, then once it warms a bit settles in to like 30-40psi... But I can't recall to be honest with you. Others will chime it!

Hot at idle, you'll see 0-to 4-5 psi. 4-5 most likely with a pump kit installed. That doesn't mean there isn't a decent volume flowing. I think that is why Yamaha didn't put a gauge on the Gen1. It would have been a customer service nightmare from new bike buyers.

When cold mine will show 55 psi with a fast idle.
When fully hot it is around 6 - 9 psi at idle and, depending on speed, 35 - 45 psi when cruising.

Man, i just took this system off and I was trying to remember the pressures I was getting.... Seems like when you just start it up cold the pressure jumps up to around 40-60psi, then once it warms a bit settles in to like 30-40psi... But I can't recall to be honest with you. Others will chime it!

Hey Dave, Would consider selling me the system or the threaded plug used for the tap?

Wayne

Hey Dave, Would consider selling me the system or the threaded plug used for the tap?

Wayne

I would, but would like to sell it as a kit with the rest of my gauge setup. It would include a reworked oil pressure and water temp modified gauge cluster, oil pressure line and threaded plug, reworked coolant manifold as shown in the below picture. I might be more than you want to spend though. I'd be willing to let it go for $100 plus shipping to someone on the forum.

Hot at idle, you'll see 0-to 4-5 psi. 4-5 most likely with a pump kit installed. That doesn't mean there isn't a decent volume flowing. I think that is why Yamaha didn't put a gauge on the Gen1. It would have been a customer service nightmare from new bike buyers.
I have the PCW kit that Damon installed in my new motor and at startup it is pegged at 80 psi even at idle. I think it's 80 can't remember exactly since I only glance at it a couple of times, during warmup. I usally wait for the engine to naturally idle down a bit before taking the choke off of it's warmup rpm of ~2k.

I would, but would like to sell it as a kit with the rest of my gauge setup. It would include a reworked oil pressure and water temp modified gauge cluster, oil pressure line and threaded plug, reworked coolant manifold as shown in the below picture. I might be more than you want to spend though. I'd be willing to let it go for $100 plus shipping to someone on the forum.

Yes, money is not a problem but that is more project than I want. I want to keep my stock tach. I just want to mount a small guage and
elbow plumbing down there.

Where could one purchase the tapped plug for that?

Where could one purchase the tapped plug for that?[/QUOTE]
C.O.O. is where I got mine. I'd think Sean could help you out with it too.
Steve-o

Took my plug and went to oriellys and matched it to a generic oil drain plug. Drilled and tapped it. Works fine. Just have to remember to match the threads.

Latest posts

Back