Starter relay question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constantinos

Reaction score
So my new relay arrived. However there was something different than the one i already had on the bike. There were two cables coming out. A green and red one which connected to the cable that the older one was connected to, and a black one which i have no idea where it goes. I thought it was a grounding cable but after attaching it to the frame and I try to start the bike nothing happens. I can hear the vboost and pump running and newtral and oil light come on but nothing happens when i press the start button. When i disconnect the black cable and i press the start button the neutral and oil lights go off but the engine does not turn.

I have a voltmeter and battery is fully charged at 12.5v. Can someone please tell me how to troubleshoot the problem? Before the old starter relay gave out completely, the engine was turning really slowly. 1985 vmax

Could you post a pic of the new relay?
The relay is not grounded. It is basically a switch, spliced into the positive feed wire from the battery to the starter motor, activated by positive current from the blue/white wire.
The grounding takes place at the starter motor itself.
Cheers!

You got the wrong relay. Send it back and get the correct one.

The starter relay always has 12V+ running to it due to its direct connection to the battery. The relay is triggered through the start circuit (which is in the flasher relay pack or 41R relay). This circuit outputs a 12V- input to the starter relay, which causes contacts to close and applies 12V+ to the starter (This is the L/W wire shown in attached picture).

Gary

Attachments

• Starter relay circuit VMax 85-89.jpg
    Starter relay circuit VMax 85-89.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 17
Back