So I need a new clutch lever

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
After a little more then a month on her Sv, my wife figured she was ready for a shot on the Max. being that I've been the one trainer her, I felt she was more then up to the task of just riding up and down our street. So I let her take a shot. She made several passes with no issue at all. Then one what was to be her last pass, she went to turn around and managed to find the one rock out in the road with the front tire.

Amazingly she was able to set the Max down very gentel. The only casualty was the clutch lever which was only slightly bent (a few smacks with a deadblow and you can't even tell). Also she was able to get the bike back up and rode it back. I was none the wiser when she pulled back in the driveway. She told me right away. She was so worried when she told me, it was actually very funny. After I checked her out and made sure she was fine I took a look at the bike and aside from a slight bend in the clutch lever, there wasn't a mark on the bike. I do have crash guards so it would seem they did their job very well.

So, since my wife is determined to relace the levers even though I was able to repair it, I thought it might be a nice time to ask if anyone has found some aftermarket levers that have a nicer grip then stock. If not I'll just get a set of replacement stockers.

I'm not picky, however, I have no interest in CF levers since to me CF is over done and CF levers on a 625lbs bike doesn't make any difference.

Oh and when I get home I'll pull a pic of my wife on the max off the camera and post up. I think when the Sv becomes not enough for her, a Max is where she'll want to be.

If she can pick that bike up all by herself, you better start practicing your "Yes dear" and "No dears". :eek:hyeah00:

lol, hell I've had that down pat for years.

She had a hell of a time with it, but she managed. She's a hell of a lot stonger then she looks, thats for sure.

Not sure about aftermarkets (though I think some of the Europe sites have them) but I have chromed stock levers on hand.

The price list for my chrome stuff is in the for sale section.

Sean Morley

I'm glad that the Max survived a tip-over with such minor issues. The Max is a bit "big boned" when it comes to weight.

Hey Calimus. My off days are about to change so maybe we can get together for a ride in the next month or so. It will be the first time in 16 years that I will work Mon-Fri, 9-5. After the move is official, I'll give you a shout.

Redux, that sounds great. Though with weekends off, will you know what to do with yourself?

The wife and I will be taking 2 weeks off in October around out anniversary. We are planning on doing a lot of 1-2 day trips all over north Ga on the bikes. I'm pretty sure we could work in a trip out your direction.

Sounds like fun! Gratz on the Anniversary. It's pretty cool to have a wife that rides her own bike. Just remember that when she passes you on a mtn road riding that nimble little SV :rofl_200:

I'm looking forward to meeting up with another forum member for the first time...

I don't have to wait for any mountain roads, she can pass me if she chooses every time I have to stop for fuel. That lil sucker gets 50mpg. I have to stop almost 50 miles before she does.

An yes, will definitly be nice to meet a forum member. As it is, I've only seen one other Vmax on the road and I haven't been able to get him to pull over anywhere the two times that I've seen him.

congrats on the minimal damage....

Checking on the Wife before the bike is a VERY good move.....

I screwed up with a girlfriend once when I rolled my pristine but not running at the time project V65 Magna out in the driveway to do some work in the garage.
It was on the centerstand in a gravel driveway.

Next thing I know my girlfriend is sitting on the damn thing makinhg VRoom-Vroom moises like a little kid wearing a mini-skirt.
Then I hear a desparate AAEeeeee!!! and a thud and she's under the bike.
I snatched (well, it was more like lifted) the bike off her, put it on the kickstand, and was on my second trip around the bike looking for damage befgore I noticed she was still lying there bleeding from her hip and knee...
Jeez I felt like a shmuck..

No pussy for me for awhile after that!!!

Calimus said:
Redux, that sounds great. Though with weekends off, will you know what to do with yourself?

The wife and I will be taking 2 weeks off in October around out anniversary. We are planning on doing a lot of 1-2 day trips all over north Ga on the bikes. I'm pretty sure we could work in a trip out your direction.

DAMN! Where were you when I lived in Huntsville, AL? 2 years there and did not see so much as 1 single other V-Max. I come back to Europe and find them all over. Such is life.

Enjoy!

wfcall said:
congrats on the minimal damage....

Checking on the Wife before the bike is a VERY good move.....

I screwed up with a girlfriend once ........ was on my second trip around the bike looking for damage befgore I noticed she was still lying there bleeding from her hip and knee...
Jeez I felt like a shmuck..

No pussy for me for awhile after that!!!

LoL too funny, well sort of. It's funny because ever since my wife bought the Vmax for me she has always sat on the bike and made the vroom-vroom noises as well.

However, not checking on my wife first would normally landed me in "self service" mode for some time as well. This time however, she seems surprised that I checked on her first. Bike is fixable and I was just as much at fault since I put her on it.

-Lee- I actually was still in Ga 2 years ago, I was just still in the "your not getting a bike" argument with the wife.

wfcall said:
Then I hear a desparate AAEeeeee!!! and a thud and she's under the bike.
I snatched (well, it was more like lifted) the bike off her, put it on the kickstand, and was on my second trip around the bike looking for damage befgore I noticed she was still lying there bleeding from her hip and knee...

Spoken like a true biker! :punk0000: I suppose she wouldn't see the humor in that....oops.

Ok, so here is the pic I was talking about. Sorry about the quality, but it was very close to dark and I didn't get a chance to really dial in the camera.

cristine_vmax.sized.jpg

It's not great at any size really, but if you want more detail, then click the link below. Beware 56k users, this will take a while.

http://www.techography.net/gallery/miscpics/cristine_vmax?full=1

I bought a set of black levers off of ebay. They look just like my stock silver (aluminum) levers. I still see them on there, at least the last time I looked.

Latest posts

Back