Front tire choice with Shinko 230 170/80/15 rear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kball

Reaction score
I think i've decided to get a shinko 230 rear 170 size tire from what i've read about them. It's a cheap tire that is fairly grippy and doesn't last as long as some others. I want a front that I can push a little harder than the average guy in the corners. I thought about running a 150 rear for this reason too, but this is still my cruiser bike and I have a supermoto for real aggressive rides.

I have read good feedback on the 230 rear tires, but seems like less people like the front 230.

Kball

The Matching Shinko front works, it cups fast depending on how you ride. If you hit lots of hard corners you will see cupping faster. I normally got 2 rear tires out of 1 front tire. So about 5-6500 miles and honestly probably could have stretched the rear tire to 7500-8000 if I wanted to. So figure the front is good for atleast 10,000 miles.

They are BETTER than anything stock size that is available as far as grip and holding power.

Some people say they had vibrations, but I would honestly say its probably a cupped tire that they noticed.

I ran several Shinko tires on my Vmax with no issues and ran my bike HARD. Into corners, and at the drag strip, those tires where pushed.

So get the matching front you should be fine.

I really like my Shinko tires, i use the 230 bias on an 83 cx650, an 89 Yamaha Venture Royal and the 890 radials on the 93 and 95 Gl1500 Goldwings, but i use Dynabeads in the radials.
The 230 is great in the wet and every one i have mounted with the circle at the stem needed no balancing.
Currehtly i have some 6 year old Metzelers on my 85 Vmax, they are in great shape, came with bike, but i would go with the 230 front and rear, i am more of a casual rider. Too many years of riding Goldwings i guess.

I've run both a Metzeler Lasertec and Bridgestone Battlax BT45-V with a Shinko TM 230 rear.
Both worked great.
I haven't tried a Shinko front yet because like you I saw a lot of posts saying they wore unevenly or cupped quickly.

Tires are cheap enough I replace them alot. I when through 5 rear tires and 3 fronts last year, NOT including the new tires that where on the bike when I bought it. So all together 6 rear tires and 4 front tires in 34,000 miles last year.

Thank you. I do lots of long weekend rides. I ride around 150 miles a day in the summer almost everyday when I ride to my girlfriends house. Then usually a short 50 mile ride with her when I get there. But we did lots of travelling with 2 day weekends and then a few holiday trips.

Thanks guys! I ended up just ordering the matched pair and i'll try it. It's not a big investment if I really don't like it for some reason. But i've got a sport bike and a supermoto so this isn't exactly the bike I drop 2 gears and back into corners with. :punk:

Latest posts

Back