Won't Rev to Redline???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxnewfie

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while since on the forum.

Last season, shortly before winter storage I noticed that my bike won't rev past 8500 - 8700 rpm when running through the gears. Feels like the bike is not getting enough air, and sputters almost like it has a rev limiter. Seems like it's getting choked out.

The bike is still in winter storage for at least another 2 -3 weeks:bang head:. |I never bothered to troubleshoot before I put it away... busy with the kids. I already picked up new spark plugs and a new airfilter. Any suggestions on what I should look in to, or any mods?

Thanks

The carbs probally need cleaning, I would give the "shotgun" method a try, worked wonders for me!....................Tom.

One or more main jets backed out?? Black smoke or wet sparkplug(s)??.....a bit of a stretch but possible..................

I have exactly these same synthoms! I was sure that it's ignition or air issue..gonna try the shotgun tomorrow. Thanks☺

Mikko / Vmax1988

All my plug boots (caps) are in bad shape. I went to the dealer to order plug wires and boots... They want $100 for them! I found a set of COPS on Ebay, so I went ahead and ordered them.

Do I have to remove anything else besides the airbox to access the front coils?

All my plug boots (caps) are in bad shape. I went to the dealer to order plug wires and boots... They want $100 for them! I found a set of COPS on Ebay, so I went ahead and ordered them.

Do I have to remove anything else besides the airbox to access the front coils?
Mark, I am shipping out today. This is what you need for installation-----
I couldn't ride today (missing that front wheel spacer) I went ahead with Birdoprey's Coils Over Plugs mod. Thanks for sending that wire harness Mark!
worthy00.gif

I got a set of COPs from an '05 GSXR 600 ($10), and another set from an '01 CBR 929 RR ($5) as spares - both ended up being the Denso brand and the longer ones.

I decided to remove the OEM coils too, but didn't use their factory connectors for the COPs wiring so I could sell my old coils as they're in excellent shape.

To start with, I assume anyone reading this knows how to remove their faux-tank, faux-air cowls and the seat (front if you have stock). It might help to remove the carbs' chrome H covers - not really imperative but mine just happened to be off. Also, you must make absolutely sure you have the correct Philips head screwdrivers / bits for the job or you will have a total nightmare.

First let's prepare the wiring. On the left is how it came, on the right is what I did to it, adding heatshrink tubes to both ends and crimping the connectors on. On the harness I got the black/white wire is the common:
COPwireharness.jpg

Then I prepared the COPs. Again original on the left, and on the right I slid the top rubber ring down (using it for vibration damping) and added the rubber boot from the OEM spark plug boots:
COPsnrubber.jpg

To remove the rear coils, I found I needed to use the impact driver to disturb those very tight screws. I cannot say it enough - make sure you're using the right size Philips driver or you don't stand a chance..
We're looking at the right-hand coil (#3) and I've arrowed the mounting screws
rearcoilremoval1.jpg

Then I removed the heatshield rubber and pulled the boot off the spark plug.
4rubberpull.jpg

Here the rear right coil is coming off, pulling the HT wire and plug boot with it
P1040057.jpg

Looking on the left side - green arrow points at the #1 coil connector, and blue arrow points at the relay I removed from its mount (red arrow) for easy access to the COP wiring route:
LRconnector.jpg

COP wiring (arrowed) in place and connected. As mentioned earlier, I decided not to use the factory wiring connectors so I could sell my OEM coils complete. If you prefer using the factory connectors for your COPs, check out Birdoprey's instructions on how to remove them from the OEM wiring.
3wiring.jpg

and here it is all electrical taped-up for waterproofing and peace of mind
iso_d.jpg

The #1 COP is in. Being the taller kind, you have to pop it in at an angle to clear the frame.
3in.jpg

Then I tried wrapping the original heat shield rubber around it. It's quite tight and I thought about cutting some if it...
3rubbermount.jpg

...but didn't need to and it fits! Here's one well secured #1 COP in place:
3secure.jpg

Over on the other side, I ran into another problem - the coolant hose clip put the COP at a bad angle and rubbed hard on it. I got the thin pliers out..
RRhoseclip.jpg

..and moved the bigger bit out of the way. The arrowed bit isn't as big a protusion as the other one, so the COP can sit pretty much straight in front of it
RRclipmoved.jpg

The rear right COP (#3) is going in, again at an angle to clear the frame. Also notice I decided to remove the middle rubber ring (on #1 also)...
RLCOPgoingin.jpg

...because the original heat shield rubber keeps it in place just fine!
RLCOPin.jpg

Here's a top view of the rear COPs wiring all done with the OEM rear coils removed - if I make a hole in my Corbin seat I'll have a nice safe space to park my balls LOL
rearcoilsdone.jpg

In part 2 we'll get to the front coils - I'm splitting the thread again so that it doesn't take so long to load with all those images..

Here's part 2: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5868

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5868

Best bang for the buck you can do to a Max.. Especially when you've got 31 year old coils that are leakier than the Titanic. Cheap, simple and effective. A perfect mod.

I installed the COPS about a month ago, and I must say... What a difference!!! Bike is running like a champ now. It was only last weekend that I finally had the chance to really run all the way through the RPM range.... Many times lol. No more hiccups or sputtering. Runs clean all the way to 9500 rpm! Thanks again blaxmax!!!

I installed the COPS about a month ago, and I must say... What a difference!!! Bike is running like a champ now. It was only last weekend that I finally had the chance to really run all the way through the RPM range.... Many times lol. No more hiccups or sputtering. Runs clean all the way to 9500 rpm! Thanks again blaxmax!!!

Glad to help.

I never bothered removing the front coils when I installed the COPS. I figure all that extra weight will help hold the front wheel down when I get frisky with the bike.

Latest posts

Back