Clutch adjustment? ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoshinski24

Reaction score
When I pop my max in first gear from neutral it shuts off. Do I need to adjust the clutch? If so how do I do it.
Thank you
Eddie

There's a switch that kills it if you drop it into gear with the kickstand down, it could be that the switch has a problem.

No adjustment. BUT, as long as you have the clutch lever pulled in AND the kickstand up (which I suspect you don't) then it will work. If the kickstand switch is bad (or unplugged in certain years) it will default to the "safe" mode and act like it's still down.

Looking at the wires that run down the frame from the positive side of your battery down to your left footpeg there will be a white 2 prong connector that has come unplugged. When you put it in gear it will immediately die. There are also 2 plug-ins underneath your clutch lever if unplugged will do the same.

I backed my 85 outta the garage this very morning (I park it on it's center stand), and put it down on it's kickstand to go back and shut the overhead door. When I got back on, I was reminded what a PITA that sidestand switch can be. Apparently, mine's in need of either a bit of lube, or after 31 years, complete replacement - because I had to bend down and manually pull it's spring loaded switch back out so's I could continue on to work.

A bit of WD40 on that switch shaft should return that to function. Check to see if there is any corrosion on the shaft, you might have to sand it off if there is. Then hit it w/the lube, and work the switch open/closed a few times. That should do it for a few years.

Latest posts

Back